range rover wiring

one bob bit

i need help with a wiring fault i keep blowing fuses for the off side side light with all light units diconected where is the best place to start looking i have a 1980 2 door with an 1989 efi auto engine and loom so any ideas would be great thank you

i need help with a wiring fault i keep blowing fuses for the off side side light with all light units diconected where is the best place to start looking i have a 1980 2 door with an 1989 efi auto engine and loom so any ideas would be great thank you

What are the wire colours?

If it helps my 1987 efi wiring is:-

Red/Orange wire from fuse 5.

This circuit also includes the dash lights which are wired through a dimmer. The dimmer is shown with a connection to earth so a fault in there could be your short. Also disconnecting the dimmer will also isolate all the dash and switch illumination.

There are connectors for both the front and back looms so you could disconnect those and see if you can isolate the fault.

Good hunting

Steve

Find the wiring colour and trace the wire as best you can, look for chafed wires, missing grommets, dodgy connectors, any burnt or discoloured wires... all the usual really. As Steve suggests, narrowing it down a bit before trying to trace it will cut the effort down a bit.

thanks for the surgestions i have unplugged the dash pod lights and dimmer switch with the loom diconected from front and rear lights but still the same! i will have to trace the wires from the fuse box one by one now i think just didnt know if there was a common fault i dont know about

A useful tip found on a forum recently. I've tried it and it saves a lot of time.

fix a couple of wires to a bulb bright enough to see out of the corner of your eye, 21W or so should do.

Connect this in place of the fuse. While the fault is present the bulb will light.

Then start wobbling wires etc. When the bulb goes out or flickers you're in the right area.

Then start looking for chafed wiries etc as previously mentioned.

Good luck,

Bob

A useful tip found on a forum recently. I've tried it and it saves a lot of time.

fix a couple of wires to a bulb bright enough to see out of the corner of your eye, 21W or so should do.

Connect this in place of the fuse. While the fault is present the bulb will light.

Then start wobbling wires etc. When the bulb goes out or flickers you're in the right area.

Then start looking for chafed wiries etc as previously mentioned.

Good luck,

Bob

I like that. Can see a modified fuse with an LED in the top coming out of the workshop soon.

As a side note saw on a site somewhere fuses that light up when blown which I thought looked rather good.

Steve