wheels and tyres

hello all im kinda new to this owning a landrover stuff and been out green laneing and cant get enough of it now,only problem is went out at the weekend and got stuck quite alot. at this time my 90 2.5td is bog standard apart from a side exit exhaust its soom to have a 2inch lift kit fitted can anyone point me in the rite direction for a decent size of tyre and wheels to fit ie that clear everything but help with the diff on the ground problem i seem to have suffered just recently

thanks

A good MT or AT tyre will do, 7.50x16 or 235 85 16 or 265 85 16 will keep the diff up.

I wouldn't rush out to put a 2" lift on if you're in to laning - it doesn't lift the diffs up, and just makes you more vulnerable to low tree branches and foliage.

The first things I'd spend some money on would be rock sliders - not totaly necessary but can be a comfort at times, and can help with recovery - and a raised air intake for those puddles that aren't puddles.

A good MT or AT tyre will do, 7.50x16 or 235 85 16 or 265 85 16 will keep the diff up.

I wouldn't rush out to put a 2" lift on if you're in to laning - it doesn't lift the diffs up, and just makes you more vulnerable to low tree branches and foliage.

The first things I'd spend some money on would be rock sliders - not totaly necessary but can be a comfort at times, and can help with recovery - and a raised air intake for those puddles that aren't puddles.

thanks for the advise guess these wil fit on the standard wheels?

was thinking about the lift kit for the future probably gonna start getting into more serious off roading and think the raised air intake sounds like a good idea as iv had water in the footwells already

there are a thousand things i want to fit to my 90 just not sure where to start

joined to hopefully get to speak to some people with some experince to guide me in the rite direction and not waste money on stuff that imight never use

guess other than that its kinda a learing curve

thanks for the advise guess these wil fit on the standard wheels?

was thinking about the lift kit for the future probably gonna start getting into more serious off roading and think the raised air intake sounds like a good idea as iv had water in the footwells already

there are a thousand things i want to fit to my 90 just not sure where to start

joined to hopefully get to speak to some people with some experince to guide me in the rite direction and not waste money on stuff that imight never use

guess other than that its kinda a learing curve

Wouldn't spend a fortune at this stage. If you look on e-bay under Land Rover tyres you'll fin lots of choice of Mud Terrains already on wheels from people who are upgrading. Get a set of Mud Terrains and you'll notice the difference straight away off road. They will be noisy on tarmac, and not as grippy, but as long as you don't go for anything extreme like Simexs they are fine. Note alloy wheels use different nuts to steel wheels, so if you swap one for the other you'll need nuts as well. The very first thing on your off-roading kit list should be decent recovery points, so other people can pull you out when you get stuck. Then tyres, then diff and steering guards, and then a lift because it improves articulation on rough ground. You can go through pretty deep water without needing a snorkel, but petrol engines need the electrics waterproofing even for deep puddles. I wouldn't worry too much about rock sliders unless you are doing fairly serious stuff. They're not cheap, whereas putting a new sill on a Defender if you scrunch it isn't a big job, or expensive, or critical. Also get yourself a Hi-Lift Jack & learn how to use it safely, plus a decent tow rope (not a Halfords job), and a few shackles (Machine Mart have this stuff cheap enough). Oh and a basic CB to talk to your mates. Try 4x4 CB