Hill trouble in 2.5 ltr petrol

Equally likely to be the fuel pump. More throttle required uphill and if it isn't delivering enough fuel then the level in the float bowl will drop and it will show symptoms of running out (ie spluttering).

If it is problems with lack of fuel then the problem should also be present on all wide throttle openings i.e. on the flat at speed once a certain fuel demand is required and not met. I had this problem on mine with a filthy fuel filter. The other cause could be a solid object in the float bowl that is jamming the opening that feeds the primary/secondary jet, I once had a petr(ol)ified moth in mine!!.

I would change the fuel filter (located behind the driver's side bulkhead outrigger) first and check the wire mesh filter in the carb fuel inlet. Next I would clear all the jets and finally I would take the carb off (cause it's easier) and then take the top off to inspect the float bowl and possibly use a weber 32/34 dmtl refurb kit.

I used to have a petrol 2.5 too. Mine was similar. I listened to the fuel pump and thought it sounds a bit quiet, so I changed it. What a difference, it made a much more audible sound after that.

The hill problem could also be related. Does it splutter when its low on fuel too? If so this could be a pin hole in the fuel feed in the tank, so once the fuel gets below the hole it draws air in too and hence the spluttering.

Another problem that used to occur with mine was caused by going off road and all the bumping around. It would start to splutter and cough and I would lose power. A Landrover mechanic showed me a trick to solve this. He took off the air inlet pipe at the carb. Started it up, then revved it. Then put his covered hand over the inlet. It worked, and I used it several times after that. He said what it does is it clears the cr4p out and burns it. Worked every time.