Air filter for 2.8 HS TGV powered Defender

Hi,

I´got my 2.8 HS International TGV engine connected to a standard LR Defender Td5 air filter (square and relatively small). I have been told on a couple of occasions that this air filter is too small to cope with the air demand of the 2.8 engine.

Anybody has the answer for this?

I have checked the factory air filter that came with the Ford Ranger pickup that was produced with the same 2.8 engine a couple of years ago (in Argentina) and the air filter was much bigger and cilindrical, it has aproximately 80% more surface area.

Any opinions?

During hot days (?) I have the sensation that the engine cannot suck enough air, making a strong vacuum-like noise.

What air filter are other 2.8 HS TGV powered Defender 90 users using?

Regards,

Santiago

I think the TD5 air filter is too small for the TD5, let alone the 2.8 HS! I have seen cases where the filter blocks with sand and dust and then gets sucked towards the engine, letting in unfiltered air. Of course it is quite dusty here. We encourage owners to change them every 10 000 kms (6k miles).

I would agree that a larger Donaldson filter is the way to go, if you can get them where you are.

Rick/Jim,

Thanks for the advice. It is interesting to hear that because I've learnt that the Ford Ranger trucks that came with the 2.8 TGV HS International engine and had the small, square filter suffered from the same problem: the filter got destroyed by the powerful sucking effect of the engine, the owners did not notice that the filter was not filtering any more and they ended up in broken engines.....

I had never heard about those Donaldson or Nelson filters before. I will take a look on the web. Do you have any specific internet adress which may help to learn about these filters? What about K & N filters, are they good for off road dusty driving conditions?

I may end up travelling to South Africa and Canada later this year due to work so I may have the opportunity to buy it there.

Thanks!

Santiago

Actually, the paper element in the Td5 air filter (ESR4238) is the same as fitted in the RR p38, even those with V8 engines (4.0 and 4.6).

I would say that what's good for a 4.6 engine should be good for a 2.5 or 2.8 engine.

Of course, if the filter gets blocked with dust, it won't be good even for a 50 cc engine, anf the plain element design will surely lead to its collapsing; but this is due to poor maintenance, rather than to inadequacy of filtering medium.

:blink:

I think the TD5 air filter is too small for the TD5, let alone the 2.8 HS! I have seen cases where the filter blocks with sand and dust and then gets sucked towards the engine, letting in unfiltered air. Of course it is quite dusty here. We encourage owners to change them every 10 000 kms (6k miles).

I would agree that a larger Donaldson filter is the way to go, if you can get them where you are.

:blink: ... Must one change the filter on a td5 after every 10 000 kms? I did it every 2 000kms.. Is it waste of cash? Just do not take chances,,,,, :huh:

<snip>

I had never heard about those Donaldson or Nelson filters before. I will take a look on the web. Do you have any specific internet adress which may help to learn about these filters? What about K & N filters, are they good for off road dusty driving conditions?

I may end up travelling to South Africa and Canada later this year due to work so I may have the opportunity to buy it there.

Thanks!

Santiago

Donaldson, Fleetguard Cummins and Mann-Hummel are the biggest filter manufacturers in the world. The vast majority of heavy duty diesels use a filter from one of these manufacturers.

Whoever sells truck filters will stock one of these three brands.

Don't use a K&N for off road use. Leave them on the race cars ;)

Their filtration levels leave something to be desired.

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/en/index.shtml

http://www.donaldson.com/en/index.html

:blink:

:blink: ... Must one change the filter on a td5 after every 10 000 kms? I did it every 2 000kms.. Is it waste of cash? Just do not take chances,,,,, :huh:

You do realise air filters filter more efficient the more dust they collect ;) (up to the point that pressure drop becomes too great and it impinges on performance)

To give you an example, I had a Donaldson element tested out of a 300Tdi that was in for 20,000km (part of a filter test I supplied some filters for ) and it still had a lot of service life left. We could have re-fitted it without any worries.

This vehicle was driven on dirt roads every day.

Actually, the paper element in the Td5 air filter (ESR4238) is the same as fitted in the RR p38, even those with V8 engines (4.0 and 4.6).

I would say that what's good for a 4.6 engine should be good for a 2.5 or 2.8 engine.

Of course, if the filter gets blocked with dust, it won't be good even for a 50 cc engine, anf the plain element design will surely lead to its collapsing; but this is due to poor maintenance, rather than to inadequacy of filtering medium.

of course the diesels are turboed and move a hell of a lot more air than their swept displacement. ;)

I think Land Rover forgot these vehicles are used off road and in countries where dirt roads predominate. Surface area is directly related to service life, the greater the area, the longer they survive in harsh/dusty conditions. Even a lot of our secondary roads here are dirt/gravel. I don't have to go too far off a main highway to hit a dirt road, often just turning off a highway you are on a dirt road.

I've heard of lots of TD5's here having the problem Jim describes.

My dads TD5 boosts to 21psi thats the equivalent of a 6.25l N/A engine, now it looks small. Also Rover seem to use whats in the parts bin. His TD5 is chipped to 170BHP but I don't think the boost has gone up much more than stock.

BTW would you put a 2.5" exhaust on a 6.25l N/A engine? might even be 2.25" looks small to me though.

Gaza