300 TDI Discovery to 300 TDI Defender?

Hi there guys and Girls

I'm hoping that the answer to this question is a simple yes, any way this is the situation.

I have had the very god fortune to acquire a 1995 Defender 300 TDI through my fathering law. It is legit not hot and wont bore you with the story.

The point is I have acquired it as the last owner some what knackered it. As we are lead to believe by cam belt failure. Every thing else is really sweet on it.

Will a discovery 300 TDI pop straight in in its place without to many alteration like a 200 TDI swap?

Thanks all for your help

Jason

Guest diesel_jim

how knackered is it?

a cambelt usually bends the push rods and/or breaks a rocker shaft; if you're unlucky it'll bend a valve in the head. you may get away with removing the head and knocking out the bent valves.

as the valves and pistions are parallel to each other, they don't usually damage each other, just "other" things further up the line.

Jason,

Timing belt failure is not a reason to change the engine ! New belt kit with idler, tensioner and crank pully, set of push rods and perhaps some rockers and Bob's your Uncle, no new engine required :)

Mo

Edit : Snap Jim :)

Mo Murphy

Thanks for the tip. I am going to investigate before I start any swapping. I not fully convinced that it is just a broken cambelt. The owner, and his family , simply want rid of it and thats what they've told me.

Just getting some advice if I do need to change the engine.

Jason