diff's

rangy

hey all, hows it going?

ive not been on this site for a while.

I have a question and am not great on technical speak. i have broken a few rear diffs on my disco 1, usually after a nice easy climb, i have found out that it may have been damaged earlier, it alway seeem to be the same thing that goes....the bar that goes by the crown wheel with the planet gears on that are top and bottom.

i have a bit of slack in my trnsmission so maybe the jolts from the slack being taken up slowly fractures it.

My question is...why is it always that bit that goes and the planet gears break and without going into arbs or anything similar is there a way to stop it breaking ( other than not driving hahaha), im loooking at maybe making that bar out of steel not forged metal that it is at the moment..

Also does anybody know how to get rid of the slack in the transmission, it seems to be in the gearbox area from what i can tell.

Any help would be appreciated.

rangey.

A 4 pin diff with 24 spline shafts from a range rover (I think - Moose?) is the easiest and cheapest solution to this weakness.

In addition to Fridge's question, what tyres are you running? Over 32" on standard Disco running gear can start to be a problem, depending on how hard you drive it.

We've had 2 RRCs with similar problems. When spinning wheels offroad, the planet gears have a very hard time, and eventually give up.

You can upgrade to either a locker or a 4-pin (heavy duty) diff. I'd go for a locker, a TrueTrac is not that much more expensive then a 4-pin and gives a big advantage offroad.

It's a good point, lockers take the shock load away as the wheel that's in the air can't spin any faster than the wheel on the ground, if everything's locked up that usually means everything is going about the same speed as the ground.

Or you could try not to spin wheels so much, the killer is spinning then hitting grip (EG getting a wheel airbourne on a climb).

It's a good point, lockers take the shock load away as the wheel that's in the air can't spin any faster than the wheel on the ground, if everything's locked up that usually means everything is going about the same speed as the ground.

Or you could try not to spin wheels so much, the killer is spinning then hitting grip (EG getting a wheel airbourne on a climb).

hey all.

I leave the difflock out when on roads, and am quite careful abour spinning the wheels off road. i keep looking at the four pin diffs and admit they do look a bit better but still not sure what to do. I run the standard 10 spline shaft's at the moment. Admittedly i would like to get lockers but not sure yet.

Thanks for the advise

fridge freezer you have the rangy and 110 ten in gosport??? if so why you selling your 109?

many thanks

stacey