What "must have" accesories for a Nova?

I am toying with the idea of chopping in my Tomb Raider 90 for a new TDCi XS.

The main reason is that with the TDCi, I reckon that my wife should be able to drive it and I will be able to get rid of our Ford Focus "Shopping Trolley as well.

I have just been up to the local Landie agent and was pleasantly surprised as to what they would allow me in part-ex for my Tomb Raider and had a look around a customer car (looks a bit naked after the TR)

In order to let me price up the (possible) new car what accessories that cannot easilly be retrofitted at a later stage would people suggest? Usage would be as a "shopping trolley" and yearly trip to the Spanish Mountains where a 4*4 is useful but realistically a soft roader would do just as well. (I know, I know, I don't need a Landie but they are such a great driving experience)

The truck will be kept for a long time at least 10 years i would have thought.

At the moment the only thing I have positively identified is the LR Rear step / bumper. I will be fitting chequer plate (I'm not a drug dealer, rap star or Division 4 footballer, but after the TR I have got used to it) but probably will not buy this via a dealer, as I do not want them pop riveted on.

Are there any options that other new buyers have regretted buying or not buying?

There's not a lot that the dealer can fit that isn't an easy retro-fit.

I would consider side runners (althought the XS comes with them I think). Are you talking about a new 90 or 110? You need to specify the rear seats as an option in the 110 and I suspect the 90. Get rubber mats as well - they're expensive but sturdy.

Guest diesel_jim

Not being pedantic, but why couldn't your wife drive your current rover? :unsure::unsure:

it's the same physical size as a 2.4puma, albiet without sticky out bits on.

Not being pedantic, but why couldn't your wife drive your current rover? :unsure::unsure:

it's the same physical size as a 2.4puma, albiet without sticky out bits on.

Hi Jim, fair point. she is used to, and prefers automatics, she can drive the manual Focus fine, but had problems with the gear change on the TR. She was disconcerted by the gear stick the size of a golf club. The Puma's arrngement seems a bit more car like than truck like. This theory is as yet unproved by a test drive :D

Have you got any pics of the 90?

Pete

Here you go Pete, it's a great truck, has the minor standard TR ali elctrolysis issues but, no dents, rust free chassis perfect mechanicals etc and less than 20k miles! It's a shame to let it go, but unless I can use it to replace the Focus it just does not get used enough.

post-2738-1208982106_thumb.jpg

Guest WALFY
There's not a lot that the dealer can fit that isn't an easy retro-fit.

I would consider side runners (althought the XS comes with them I think). Are you talking about a new 90 or 110? You need to specify the rear seats as an option in the 110 and I suspect the 90. Get rubber mats as well - they're expensive but sturdy.

I have a 90 XS. Didn't have any extras. Came with rear seats and side runners as standard. 1/2 leather interior, heated front seats, aircon, carpets,leccy windows,CD player with Ipod input,metalic paint(which cheekily is an extra. But I got thrown for free through my system of ordering).

Extras I would get if I purchased again

Genuine fitted by LR

Towing electrics and tow bar

Pattern or gen fitted by me

Wing top protectors

Snorkel

Load space mat

A bar and lights.

Guest diesel_jim
Hi Jim, fair point. she is used to, and prefers automatics, she can drive the manual Focus fine, but had problems with the gear change on the TR. She was disconcerted by the gear stick the size of a golf club. The Puma's arrngement seems a bit more car like than truck like. This theory is as yet unproved by a test drive :D

Ah, ok.

you could always go for one of the ashcroft auto conversions for the Td5?

Oi Jerseyman.

This is a public forum, and we trust kiddy safe too.

Please will refrain from foul language and obsene words on this forum, you'll end up banned yer know

F*cus or similar will be acceptable - should you feel the need to use such words on a LR 4x4 forum

Please, think of the children and the members

Nige

:rofl:

Believe Ashcroft's have now done a Puma Auto conversion :unsure:

OK, the wife will find the Puma version much easier that the TR to drive,, as the clutch is lighter, and the 6 speed box, is certainly smother on the change,,

As Mark saying,, Gen set of mats, and seat covers, Mantec snorkel, Gen wing tops,, If you tow with the Defender, worth having the factory fit the tow bar,, whether it was me, but works out cheaper, that having it retro fitted !!

I have own 4 TR's in the past, and did think i would missed the rear step tow bar etc, but has not been the case,,

Oi Jerseyman.

This is a public forum, and we trust kiddy safe too.

Please will refrain from foul language and obsene words on this forum, you'll end up banned yer know

F*cus or similar will be acceptable - should you feel the need to use such words on a LR 4x4 forum

Please, think of the children and the members :rofl:

You are absolutely right Nige, it was totally unacceptable to mention a F*cus, on reflection G*lf C*ub was pretty unacceptable too.

Won't happen again.

Also all future posts will go through a spell checker

Remember that the factory fit virtually no options, apart from things like the alarm battery backup. All the bits are fitted by the dealer and you have to watch out for the fitting charges, which are not detailed in the price list but mentioned in a small footnote. If the dealer offers a discount it will be on the pre-VAT price of the basic vehicle. I can certainly recommend Stratstone in South Woodford, North London who have given me good customer service.

I had the fully adjustable tow hitch and 13-pin electrics fitted to my 90 XS SW which I collect on the 1 May. I went for 13 pin as this is to become standard fit on some/all ? trailers in the near future (Oct 08?); is a much better bit of engineering than the old N & S, and can be easily converted to N or N&S (Y lead) with adapters. I think it works out cheaper to install as well although the dealers Workshop Manager told me it was quite a bit of work.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

My conclusion is that from new the only "essentials" are the rubber mats load bay protection and seat covers.

At some stage I would also like full chequer plate (I know it's bling but I do currently have a Tomb raider,smile>) rear step / bumper, Roof bars, roof access ladder and light protectors all round. (the question is do I add then on now and risk the total outlay getting too high for the Financial Controller, or order them later and hope I can squeeze them past the FC? hmm)

I had not come across that auto conversion before but POA always scares me, also resale value will be hit hard I would have thought?.

One final question, looking underneath the TDVi at the dealers there is no underseal at all. I know that modern cars tend not to use underseal preferring wax injection and high-tech paints. But i suspect that with the Landie, under a few thou of indifferently applied paint is an expensive chassis waiting to rust, does nay one have any knowledge of the current state of Landie corrosion protection.

One final question, looking underneath the TDVi at the dealers there is no underseal at all. I know that modern cars tend not to use underseal preferring wax injection and high-tech paints. But i suspect that with the Landie, under a few thou of indifferently applied paint is an expensive chassis waiting to rust, does nay one have any knowledge of the current state of Landie corrosion protection.

They ceased applying any underbody protection from December 2007 and issued a notice to all dealers explaining why (improved paint, new protective panels under the seat boxes, underseal doesn't last forever anyway etc etc...). So - you'll need to waxoyl in the hidden cavities and waxoyl or use other products or services from other suppliers. You'll find numerous threads on this and other forums regarding this issue so we don't need to discuss it further anyway, and I guess you know all about this area anyway from your previous LR ownership.

"indifferently applied paint" I think is maybe not entirely correct. I did the factory tour at Solihull yesterday and I believe our guide told us that all the panels for all the models manufactured there (all bar the Freelander), went through the same paint plant. This was a massive building* provided by BMW, as was the Press Shop, during their ownership. So, I guess, the paint should be as good on the Defender as a Range Rover Vogue. The difference is that the Defender panels have to be handled and moved a lot more than the other models due to the quite different and robot-free assembly process and are more likely to be marked. The chassis comes in from outside and I guess is painted by the supplier, so in that respect you may be correct, I've no idea.

*so big that it affected the TV reception to surrounding homes and LR had to pay for a TV booster station to be installed.

The factory tour cost £30 but was well done, an expert guide who'd worked there since 1965, and consisted of a 30 minute intro by film and chat and then 2.5 hours all over the site in one of their LR Special Vehicles three Defender 147's, a 110 SW with 37 inches and another pair of doors added (not road legal, only for internal factory use and limited to 20mph).