Painting Bumpers on Disco Series I

Guest DiscoTD4

Guest DiscoTD4

Hi, I'm thinking of freshening up the appearance of my rather faded and tired looking front bumpers - specifically just the plastic quarter bumpers at the front - by painting them either black or the same as the body colour. Has anyone else done this and have any pics to share or tips ?

Cheers

I think you need to prepare them specially as with painting any plastics (Defender wheelarch eyebrows, plastic Freelander wings etc) but I am afraid I don't know the specifics of painting plastic professionally I just know it is different to painting metal and the amateur attempts I have seen at painting Defender grilles etc invariably look horrible!

To be honest, if you have a Tdi Discovery, I'd recommend just buying new end caps as they are only about £30 odd each and will then look brand spanking new! Same for the rear ones, and you can easily paint the metal part of the bumper.

Guest DiscoTD4
I think you need to prepare them specially as with painting any plastics (Defender wheelarch eyebrows, plastic Freelander wings etc) but I am afraid I don't know the specifics of painting plastic professionally I just know it is different to painting metal and the amateur attempts I have seen at painting Defender grilles etc invariably look horrible!

To be honest, if you have a Tdi Discovery, I'd recommend just buying new end caps as they are only about £30 odd each and will then look brand spanking new! Same for the rear ones, and you can easily paint the metal part of the bumper.

wow, I did not realise they would be that cheap (used to German car costs <_< ) In which case I may well try painting them body colour and see what they look like, if no good I can put some new ones on !

Thanks for the info.

Halfrauds sell spray cans of black plastic bumper paint, which I have used for spraying plastic boxes, not bumpers, but it worked ok and didn't fall off like another type i tried.

Not much help i know, just sharing my experience!

Chris

I restore plenty of classic cars and the like......currently working on an M535i E28 which has plenty of plastic kit! If you are not into spraygun spraying you can buy aerosol's of plastic primer in greay after which bog standard aerosol will stick. If you use normal primer it all flakes off in no time!

For the colour coat try and find a proper paint mixer (Holts) who will make your aerosol because it covers so much better than the water bought in Halfords and the like! A whole car front bumper can easily be done with one to as good as proffesional finish. (just done front/rear bumpers, arch extensions and sill skirts on the bimmerfrom faded red/ping to pucker zinnoberrot :rolleyes: )

If you have a gun, get the proper plastic primer from the paint supplier.

thanks everyone for the info / tips. The only issue now is getting hold of the top coat 'willow green' in aerosol as I don't have spray gear.

When I've done the deed I'll post some pics!

I would also buy new end caps -- spraypainting it just looks terrible -- body colour ........!???!!!! ....does not suit the car

• 1 month later...
Hi, I'm thinking of freshening up the appearance of my rather faded and tired looking front bumpers - specifically just the plastic quarter bumpers at the front - by painting them either black or the same as the body colour. Has anyone else done this and have any pics to share or tips ?

Cheers

I just bought a black mate spray. And the corners look fine for me. Don't think they should be the same color of body.