Gaskets

gruntus

Hi Chaps,

Close to reassemblng the 200TDi lump now and have all the gaskets ready to go.

The question I have for all you experiinced engine builders is what gaskets are ok to use dry and what ones should be put on with some Hylomar or even instant gasket?

This is a "real world experience" question rather than a text book one.

Answers on a post card please......

Thanks in advance

G :)

Do not use hylomar or instant gasket on paper gaskets. Either assemble them dry, or at most give them a light smear of grease. Grease can be useful as it also helps hold gaskets in place during assembly.

If the surfaces are clean and undamaged there is no need to use sealant. In all the engines I've built over the years I've never had a gasket leak if the surfaces are good.

I use spray adhesive to stick the timing cover gasket to the timing cover as it makes fitting a whole lot easier.

Exception is the Tdi sump which is siliconed on - there is no gasket. The ladder frame is also siliconed on.

Jon

Do not use hylomar or instant gasket on paper gaskets. Either assemble them dry, or at most give them a light smear of grease. Grease can be useful as it also helps hold gaskets in place during assembly.

If the surfaces are clean and undamaged there is no need to use sealant. In all the engines I've built over the years I've never had a gasket leak if the surfaces are good.

I use spray adhesive to stick the timing cover gasket to the timing cover as it makes fitting a whole lot easier.

Exception is the Tdi sump which is siliconed on - there is no gasket. The ladder frame is also siliconed on.

Jon

Absolutely agree with the above

Keith