Where to put the spare?

The 235/85 Spare on my 90 is on the back door, but I'd like to move it to preserve the door itself, and to allow me to mount a mirror to see the tow hitch to help hitching up a heavy trailer. At present the spare obscures my view of the towball. I don't want the spare on the bonnet, or the roof, so I'm forced to put it inside, where it takes up a lot of space. I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with creating a well in the floor behind the bulkhead, which the spare could stand in so it takes up less room. I seem to remember some military Series vehicles had this (or was it the 109?)

A 235 sits too high on a bonnet and obscures the view badly, but you could use a 7.50x16 as a spare - almost the same diameter but a fair bit thinner.

You could also just carry a puncture repair kit like the ARB one, or a couple of cans of tyre weld instead of a spare.

A 235 sits too high on a bonnet and obscures the view badly, but you could use a 7.50x16 as a spare - almost the same diameter but a fair bit thinner.

You could also just carry a puncture repair kit like the ARB one, or a couple of cans of tyre weld instead of a spare.

Some of my era of Landrovers had the spare stood up in a recess in the side boxes. I think it was the 109, you had a choice of a tool box on one side and the spare on the other. Why cant we fit spares on bonnets like they used to do. As a skiny 9 1/2 stone squady I dont rember not seeing over the spare when I took my test in a series 2A. As for opening the bonett , yes it was heavy but you made shure it stayed up. As fitters we used to keep tow ropes and chains in our spares. As a driver training game you had to keep a tenis ball on a tray on the spare for two laps of the parade ground, Now you have got me all nostagic. :blush: