Rear Axle choice

Hello everyone. I am currently rebuilding my 1984 110 CSW onto a new chassis and I have a choice of rear axles. Both appear to be well used but are very different. One had a round diff casing, (this I'm calling the mystery axle as I don't know where it's from) and an odd anti-roll bar (both pictured). The other is the axle that is currently on my 110 CSW (last pic). I have heard that the original axles on 110 CSWs are tougher due to the extra weight and that using an 'inferior' axle is not recommended. Can anyone advise? Is the mystery axle up to the job or should I stick with the tried and tested existing axle. The wheels attached to the mystery axle are from a Range Rover I believe if that helps identification.

post-8739-1209297017_thumb.jpgpost-8739-1209297035_thumb.jpg[attachmen

t=11437:My_axle.jpg]

post-8739-1209297058_thumb.jpg

Guest diesel_jim

The third axle (which is currently on your vehicle) is a Salisbury 8HA, which is the one to have on a 110. it's stronger (and heavier!) and is rated to carry the loads of a loaded up 110.

the other axle is just a "rover" axle, as used on the fronts of 90/110/rangies/disco's and the rears of 90/rangies/disco's.

eventhough you can upgrade the internals of the rover axle to be as strong (or stronger) than the salisbury (although you'll not beat the physical size of the crownwheel and pinoin of the salisbury), the actual casing itself on the salisbury is stronger too.

The third axle (which is currently on your vehicle) is a Salisbury 8HA, which is the one to have on a 110. it's stronger (and heavier!) and is rated to carry the loads of a loaded up 110.

the other axle is just a "rover" axle, as used on the fronts of 90/110/rangies/disco's and the rears of 90/rangies/disco's.

eventhough you can upgrade the internals of the rover axle to be as strong (or stronger) than the salisbury (although you'll not beat the physical size of the crownwheel and pinoin of the salisbury), the actual casing itself on the salisbury is stronger too.

Thanks for the info. I was kinda erring on the side of the existing axle (less hassle from the DVLA) and as my 110 will ultimately be loaded up for a family camping trek to Italy I think it will be sensible to use the Salisbury.

Have a look at your brakes also. If your Salisbury axle is a 1984 one, it has drum brakes on it. You can get them with disc brakes also, don't know what engine you are running and if you have regular off road use planned. Cleaning a disc brake axle is easier after off roading.f