Rear door lock

trogers

Hi Guys and Gals.

Has anyone got an idea why the rear door lock on my 300 tdi won't now unlock on the button.

I have had the unit out and when i press the zapper button the unit shunts up and down but will not stay in the up position.

I have to climb over the back seat, hold the button up and open the back door manually.

Is the unit U/S or is there an easy/cheaper explanation.

Thanks in advance. :blink:

Is the external handle jammed up? If so, prise out the LR oval and hose lots of WD40 in there, work it back and forth until free.

The other option is broken spring inside the lock, do a search on here as it has been covered before a few times I think.

Did mine yesterday with the same symptoms - took it all apart to be confronted by a sound looking spring. B@lls thinks I, think again. So I decided to change the spring anyway as I had a new one lying about, (scrap-yards are great - most GM cars have the same lock but with different lever arrangements - the spring is the same and if you have a small conscience, free).

Fortunately once free of the lock it fell into 3 bits. So I'd reckon its 99% certain to be the spring. Be prepared to break all of the clips holding the back door trim panel on - I did, so I binned it and made a new one out of shiny aluminum cos I could!