New to Freelanders

ThreePointFive

Hi all,

My parents have bought an 05 plate Freelander TD4 5Dr. It's brilliant, and I haven't even been inside it yet. I am looking for seat covers as it has a light coloured interior and we don't want it getting trashed. I've done a google search and come up with pretty much the same figure - around £60 per row. Is this the going rate?

Also, is there any modification/addition that is suggested to make ownership that bit more convenient or easier? I'm not talking rock sliders/snorkel or anything along those lines, this is very much a standard Freelander, but I'm hoping there's a small item I can buy as a 'present' for my parents to help them enjoy their new car.

It's meant for towing their caravan with a tad offroading every now and then, nothing heavy at all.

Any sites/clubs they should be aware of?

Thanks.

AT tyres are a worthwhile change, but nothing too agressive are needed.

A better sump guard, but to be honest if you drive carefully it isn't neccesary.

Too many ruts will knock the rear silencer about and even off. It is'nt really required so can be dumped, but if left on it isn't difficult to refix it back.

Seat covers seem about right price, but check the quality and fit.

And lastly.........THE FREELANDER CLUB

http://www.freelanderclub.co.uk/

They have an active forum and a growing number of active local groups. :P

No recommendation, but a story about Climate (http://www.carseatcovers.co.uk/).

In 2002 we bought a set of covers for our TD4. They were about £100 for the whole set and they were brilliant. Excellent quality, really robust and a brilliant fit. Six years later, the seats look as if they are nearly new.

When we were looking for a replacemnet set for our second Freelander, we had no hesitation about returning to the same company. The set that arrived were a slightly different design to the previous set - obviously changed the material for a slightly cheaper version. As a result the fit wasn't quite as tailored ... but still adequate so I didn't worry. A month or so later, after a particularly vigourous bit of offroading, we needed to wash the covers so slung a couple of them in the machine, following the manufactorer's instructions. They fell apart.

They said they would send a courier to pick them up ometime on a given day - who turned up in the five minutes whilst I was walking the dogs and didn't wait. They wouldn't attend again and said I had to deliver the parcel across the city during the week. Instead I went to the local PO and sent it at my own expense. It was returned as there was no one at the company to sign for it. We tried again, at my expense, and it was received. After some weeks, a parcel turned up with the wrong type of seat covers - for a different model. They very reluctantly agreed that they were wrong and after sending it back (again at my expense) they sent the right type - but now we're onto a different batch of material with a slightly different colour.

Getting hold of the company and getting my postage fees refunded was like getting blood out of a stone - Such a shame as I raved about their product when I got the first set back in 2002.

Anyway, hope this is of some use - look for a company that do something similar, but I donpt recommend this company any more.

Cheers

Blippie