Rear door

Due to the rear door on my Defender Td5 showing signs of stress I decided to order my new vehicle with a plain rear door from the factory, the wheel to be fitted internally. The dealer advised me this is not possible and the vehicle will be delivered with the wheel fitted to the door. If required I can get the dealer to fit the wheel internally at extra cost once the vehicle is delivered. The scar on the rear door will be plated over.

Thing is I am reasonably happy that the wheel should live on the rear door providing the door will not suffer in the same way as the Td5. I know time will tell but has anyone any issues to date with the new doors on the Puma and what is your best guess as to the doors durability?

MINESAPINT

The new style door as introdced on later Td5s does seem better quality. As i do a lot of bouncing around offroad in my puma 90 I am planning to fit a Mantec swing away wheel carrier in the near future.

Better to let the chassis take the strain than take a chance in my opinion. :)

As above.

The Puma has steel doors. (Did the later Td5's have steel as well?) so they should be stronger than previous incarnations.

However, I'm also going to fit a mantec swing-away carrier on mine. Internal space is for internal stuff, not wheels :)

The mantec one fits to the existing mounting points on the rear door (don't get them plated) and to the chasis.

Mantec wheel carrier fitted to my TD5 does seem to have stopped the slightly rattly noise I got from the rear door bouncing over bumps. I installed it as a precautionary measure and was staggered at the weight of the wheel and bracket when I took them off.

The Defender door does seem more flimsey than my old Discovery which seemed to cope with a spare wheel much better.

I've also swapped all the door bolts for SS as well.

2002 doors are a single piece.

yes, but still after a long time they start to rattle and show signs of stress. best bet is install a wheel carrier or put the spare at home and pray hard you can get your mate to fetch it for you when you need it. Could way be cheaper than a new door or a wheel carrier.

2002 doors are a single piece.

yes, but still after a long time they start to rattle and show signs of stress. best bet is install a wheel carrier or put the spare at home and pray hard you can get your mate to fetch it for you when you need it. Could way be cheaper than a new door or a wheel carrier.

02 on doors are all steel.

Simon