Cabin air filter for mk1 Discovery, where from?

cipx2

I need to replace the so called "air intake duct pollen filter" on my Discovery:

ebtv0.jpg

The part # for the kit is STC738 but I couldn't find it listed anywhere on the net except over the pond.

Does anyone know where I can find one?

One other option would be to make it using some fish pond foam filter (foam block - sold as spare part for the filter).

Any other ideas gratefully received.

TIA

You could try some air conditioning filter media about 1/2" thick. That is what I will use if/when mine needs replacing.

It's structure means it is much stronger that the foam stuff, which I doubt really washes out sufficiently.

Of course, the filter isn't designed to keep the pollen out :). It's just a way to keep the flies, bugs, leaves, heavy dust, snow from entering the plenum and either clogging the two drain holes or entering the air duct, buzzing in there and be thrown in your face.

Mine shrunk as well, it's time to change it. I was happy enough with the way it performed and before experimenting with something else, I'd still want to try finding the original thing. I don't know how something else would cope with rain/snow/ice/high temp.

Thanks for the tip, teabag. I will drop an e-mail next week and see if they can source a kit for me, I believe they don't stock these.

Hi cipx2 I've click on Craddocks and did a Pt no. search the item came up @ £7.13 plus p&p £6 plus Vat thats makes £15.43 and thats a Joke.

So my challenge now is to find the alternative.

Hi CIPX2, I used a large cube fishpond filter and cut it up using a saw. Probably enough filter to do 4 Discoverys.

Excellent idea!

There is a pet shop down the road that the kids get their fish supplies from. I know what to look for later today.

Thanks for the tips.

Todd.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my local aquarium centre where I got some filter stuf.

Its plastic and comes in flat sheets small, mid, and large I went for the small @ £3.50 thats good to do two full length strips so @ £1.75 a length, it's a bargain.

The filter is flat on front with a raised cone patten on the other side it comes in three colours, black, blue, green, nice i thought but the colour indicates a different density so to match the existing density it had to be the black.

So 4 strips of 21cm x 3cm and 2 strips of 17cm x 3cm has now filled the hole. I allowed 5mm extra give a snug fit.

Thanks for that tip aherbon