Leaf springs, RHD-LHD

CaptainBlue

I’m driving a Series 3, 1975 petrol swb that was originally a RHD vehicle but converted to LHD. The leaf springs were not swapped over and I understand that the right hand side springs are different to the left hand side ones to compensate for weight etc.

The landy has the usual lean, in my case on the front left hand side/driver’s side. The leaf springs don’t look like being knackered, but to cure the lean, I might just as well get new ones or should I just swap them over to see if the lean disappears ?

I know parabolics are an option and they are not entirely ruled it but they’re more expensive.

What are the leaf springs from Paddocks like, any good ? They are not Britpart are they ?

Someone recommended you could renew both the left and right hand side with the ‘stiffer’ springs, is that an option or should I stick to the original set-up with weaker spring on passenger side ?

Lastly, if I just swap the springs over, what bits would I need just in case, like bushes nuts and bolts ?

AFAIK the lean was to compensate a full tank of Petrol/Diesel and the driver on top. Just another Land Rover 'standard lean' I believe...

I had parabolics which were 'handed' as well. Did make up for some of the lean, but you'll have to live with some lean in the end. I do not recall the brand of parabolics though....

Hej Mark,

I think the cheapest and fastest solution is to swap over the front springs to see if it makes a difference. It's not really a big job, time consuming more than anything.

A lot of guys over in Norway swear on Rocky Mountain Para springs. If anything when it concerns new springs, buy a brand name not the no name stuff offered by some of the aftermarket suppliers.

Todd.

Hi Todd and everyone else,

I was originally inclined to do as Todd suggested and just swap them over to see if there was any difference. Mate of mine has all the tools and what nots at his work the local power station. I've read with amazement on forums that landys with a lean have not been cured by fitting new springs.

As for brands, British Springs name pops up a lot on the forums so contacted them might be the next step.

Any comments on fitting the stiffer of the front springs on both sides i.e the one I have now on the passenger side ?

If swapping springs just swaps the lean, why can't you take the spring packs apart and swap over , say, half of the leaves?

Good opportunity to paint them up and apply a low friction coating.

G.

• 1 month later...