Rockwell vs Simca Portal Axles

6cyltdi

whats the problem with props?

Just need to either get a simca torque tube sent up and join with landrover propshaft or have flanges made up to suit the simca diffs.... I'm still awaiting my second diff too, however should have the axles attached to the landrover before then, just waiting on a bit of workshop space as its far too wide to go in the garage....

post-4890-1215182096_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1215182131_thumb.jpg

Gears appear good and strong. Could you measure them for us and measure portal drop too please ?

Are the inner portal box halves bolted or cast integral with the axle housing ? I know you are not going to do it this way but does it look feasible to lop the portal boxes off and graft them onto something a bit lighter and more compact ? Something like reinforced LR or Toyota axles for example.

Bill.

Guest noggy

you realise.... with these axles... you could tax and insure your landrover as a tractor... and escape all MOT problems etc :o

its also cheaper... but you cant use red diesel.

Gears appear good and strong. Could you measure them for us and measure portal drop too please ?

Are the inner portal box halves bolted or cast integral with the axle housing ? I know you are not going to do it this way but does it look feasible to lop the portal boxes off and graft them onto something a bit lighter and more compact ? Something like reinforced LR or Toyota axles for example.

Bill.

I wouldn't want to put the portal drop boxes onto anything else, especially with the sheer weight of them.... I can lift a good weight and i can barely lift a drop box a few mm off the ground for a second.. At least the weights in the right place.....

Everything is bolted together and very easy to work on besides the weight.... I can't measure anything just yet as i have re-built them, however when my diff arrives i will measure dimensions of everything for you..... and i'll measure the portal drop later today or tomorrow......

Daniel

Hello Chaps,

Sorry for the bother but what is SIMCA, I have never heard this before?

And do you know the weight of these axles, heavier than MOG 404 ones ?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,

Sorry i don't know the weight of them yet however i know the weight of my vehicle and it will be going on the weigh bridge once their on....

And yes i would say their allot heavier than 404's.

The company is simca and they come from a Sumb...... Simca Unic Marmon and Boquet is what Sumb stands for.... Hope that helps..

Daniel

you realise.... with these axles... you could tax and insure your landrover as a tractor... and escape all MOT problems etc :o

its also cheaper... but you cant use red diesel.

Explain how i can do this just because of the axles....? It's still a landrover (ish) which is tax exempt anyway and MOTing won't be a problem....???

You really don't want rims with lots of offset with that type of axle. You really want the wheel in as far as possible to try as reduce the ridiculously high scrub radius down to only crazy.

I might fall over then lol

Explain how i can do this just because of the axles....? It's still a landrover (ish) which is tax exempt anyway and MOTing won't be a problem....???

It's a cheat, some people register their landies as tractors but the restrictions mean you can't drive more than a couple of miles on the road. Perhaps not a problem for many. It gets round a few bits of legislation but not in a terribly satisfactory way, it just puts you into a different grey legal area. It's not really to do with the axles but the modifications in general, and avoiding the SVA.

It's a cheat, some people register their landies as tractors but the restrictions mean you can't drive more than a couple of miles on the road. Perhaps not a problem for many. It gets round a few bits of legislation but not in a terribly satisfactory way, it just puts you into a different grey legal area. It's not really to do with the axles but the modifications in general, and avoiding the SVA.

I'm aware you can do this as i had a patrol i used to run on cheeryade classed as farm use no T or T but your only allowed six miles fron your house or something so wouldn't be much use for my buggy..... I'm going to be in a grey area anyway when it comes to the SVA as i'll be testing it at a friends garage and not SVAing it.... As long as the traffic commisioners don't bother me i should get away with it..... Same deal with my 100" though...... ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why does everyone seem to rubbish simca portals! are they really that stupidly heavy and numb?

????

6cyltdi ? did you get them strapped under your landy in the end??? how are you getting on with them?

How many others have fitted them or are in the process of.....?

Why does everyone seem to rubbish simca portals! are they really that stupidly heavy and numb?

????

6cyltdi ? did you get them strapped under your landy in the end??? how are you getting on with them?

How many others have fitted them or are in the process of.....?

Not much progress at the moment really.... making up adaptors for land rover wheels so I have a decent wheel selection if I make a mess of the ones I have and will be useful for transporting now the recovery truck is sold....

Will update when they're on....

• 3 weeks later...

Bill.

What all measurements is it that your after....??? The axle casings really aren't that heavy either are the diffs, all the weight seems to be in the drop boxes.... Well the drums....

post-4890-1224367301_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1224367370_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1224367492_thumb.jpg