Shock Confusion

I am in the process of putting a lift kit on my 90, so far ive got some 2" lift springs, and have decided to go with the Gywn Lewis +2" front challenge shock turrets and his challenge rear shock mounts as well, im going to make my own spring retainers and the plan is to go with Procomp ES9000 shocks.

Now to get the maximum amount of travel in theory i need to have the longest shock lengths possible, the gwyn lewis rear shock mounts states that they are designed for 11 inch travel shocks, as ive got plus 2" springs does this mean that i use 13 inch travel shocks?

Also what length shocks do you reccomend using on the front? 11" to match the rears?

Thanks for your help, its a bit of a headache trying to work this out.

Tris

Now to get the maximum amount of travel in theory i need to have the longest shock lengths possible

You need to match your shocks to the springs (rates and lengths). A badly set up system will be a horrible drive and will either roll like a boat with no keel or buck over the bumps

You need to match your shocks to the springs (rates and lengths). A badly set up system will be a horrible drive and will either roll like a boat with no keel or buck over the bumps

All i know is that the springs are scorpion racing plus 2" springs. how do i match the springs and shocks?

Pro comp shocks will match scorpion springs well as they are both ****! Gwyns challenge turrets and rear shock mounts will only work properly with the 11" shocks, the main reason for the turrets and mounts being moved up is to allow for the extra length of shock when its fuly closed. Gwyns challenge kit with the 11" OME shocks really is an excellent setup. If your going for a +2" shock stick with std height mounts.

I know people some people dont agree with the ethics and morals of scorpion racing but i bought them purely on the price of the springs which were £60 and im working to a budget. But what is wrong with the Pro Comp shocks?

I know people some people dont agree with the ethics and morals of scorpion racing but i bought them purely on the price of the springs which were £60 and im working to a budget. But what is wrong with the Pro Comp shocks?

Nothing to do with Morals or ethics to be honest, I wouldn't have commented if that was the complaint I had with them. I had Scorpion springs that sagged badly, the rates were nowhere near what they should have been and they just didn't work very well. They may not be a lot of money but they are still expensive for what you get, Especially when you end up replacing them with something else. Thats just my opinion tho so If ya happy with them fair enough. Please don't think its anything to do with any grudge against the company as I don't get involved in all that.

As for the ES9000 I put them on my truck to replace DeCarbons and in comparison they were under damped and fade terribly after about an hour or so of hard off roading making truck feel horrible, Road sections between sites become scary. The ones on my challenge truck and on my road going disco both went to leak when not that old and shafts go rusty and push the chrome off in no time at all. I welded the eyes on the top of mine as people have trouble with them breaking off. I now have OME's on the challenge truck which are brilliant. Will be putting Decarbons or something similar back on the disco.

I tried to buy cheaper suspension stuff when I first built the truck as did Kris. We both regretted it, Ending up buying the decent stuff in the end after waisting money first time round.

ProComps are a perfectly good budget shock. On a similar budget the Rough Country's might have the edge (and you can get these from Gwyn or LLama4x4, and so can be sure of getting the right ones). OME would be my preference too but they are out of my budget :)

You need 4 off 11" (sometimes refered to as +5") in pin pin in either ProComp or Rough Country to match your mounts.

I hope the was only £60 for the complete set off four springs? for not much more but there is a huge range of genuine springs available that enables you to better match them to your needs and they keep their performance well.

Thanks for all the advise, the springs were £60 for all four which i thought was a bargin at £15 per a corner. There are two main reasons that im going for budget/middle of the range equipment is that it enables me to get the right setup and as they are cheaper bits than the like of OME etc if i need to change a component its not going to break the bank, and then once im happy with what i have achieved i am able to upgrade as and when its required.

Tris

Thanks for all the advise, the springs were £60 for all four which i thought was a bargin at £15 per a corner. There are two main reasons that im going for budget/middle of the range equipment is that it enables me to get the right setup and as they are cheaper bits than the like of OME etc if i need to change a component its not going to break the bank, and then once im happy with what i have achieved i am able to upgrade as and when its required.

Tris

Back to my original point. In the longterm you'll save money by buying the OME N73's in the first place. For me it wasn't longterm either, 4.5 months before my 'other' brand shocks seals started to fail. And as per Steve's point the alternative brands for Gwyn's mounts are under damped compared to the OME's.

For the extra 110-120 pounds it's worth it to get the OME's in this case.

Cheers

Steve