SRS Light Permanently On

rhydgte

Cheers for the responses, sounds expensive! MOT fail? Well it passed last week!!

No it's not an MOT fail, I was tol on a vehicle over 10 years old it's not worth sorting as they aren't guaranteed to work anyway

I thought it was an MOT fail like an ABS light, maybe not.

You are supposed to replace airbags at 10 years old due to the fact they cannot be guaranteed to deploy and it is in the service information to do that, but I don't know what MOT/insurance people make of that either. But I bet if somebody had their face messed up by chewing on an old airbag that didn't work, the insurers would wash their hands of any responsibility for the resulting injuries.

Nope airbags are not tested:

When I turn the ignition on my airbag light comes on but also stays on until I turn the engine off. The airbag light staying on, is this an M.O.T. failure?

There are no checks at all on airbags as part of the MOT Test. MOTT.

Insurance wise I don't think they can kick up a fuss as it's not a tested item and doesn't *have* to be changed.

I read somewhere that originally they planned for all airbags to be replaced at 10 years, partly to get rid of old cars and partly because they didn't really know how long the components would last. Originally they planned for it to be compulsory. When the first batch of cars got to 10 years old and where basically going to be written off due to the airbags costing more than the car was worth - and they were faced with the possibility of lots of angry cutomers, they changed their minds!

I've had a few mid nineties cars - and they all said that the airbags needed replacing at 10 years, I've now got a 53 reg and I've just had an 08 reg company car and neither of them ever need the airbag replacing

No I don't think they're that bad.

It's just designed to make you take it to LR every time it comes on and pay them £60 to turn it off. Battery Spikes from disconnecting the battery can make it light up, removing the SRS fuse, disconnecting the crash sensors at the front can make it light up, battery being left discharged for too long, steering wheel being taken off etc etc.

I believe the most common real fault is the rotary coupler between the steering wheel, that wears out and costs a couple of hundred quid to replace