Suspension and axle mods

LEAFERS RULE!!!

My series front suspension is in need of an articulation! Its on parabolics but is still poor can you still get the gon2far leaf spring dumb iron swivel mounts as i cannot seem to find them advertised any more? Also im after disc brakes but seen as there are no upgrades for series front half shafts (the good side of a grand anyway) im considering fitting coil axles, there are however the issues with steering bars wanting to go where the springs do i have read somewhere that if you put a left hand drive swivel and stub on it will give you a second bar to fit your trackrod at the front of the axle, only down fall being you have to make the draglink somehow fit the trackrod like it does on a suzuki sj (sorry to swear!!) Can anybody tell me if this is correct before i go hunting for axles? It seems viable but i would greatfully receive any information on the above as i cant decide if it would work without seeing it first. Thanks to all :blink:

My series front suspension is in need of an articulation! Its on parabolics but is still poor can you still get the gon2far leaf spring dumb iron swivel mounts as i cannot seem to find them advertised any more? Also im after disc brakes but seen as there are no upgrades for series front half shafts (the good side of a grand anyway) im considering fitting coil axles, there are however the issues with steering bars wanting to go where the springs do i have read somewhere that if you put a left hand drive swivel and stub on it will give you a second bar to fit your trackrod at the front of the axle, only down fall being you have to make the draglink somehow fit the trackrod like it does on a suzuki sj (sorry to swear!!) Can anybody tell me if this is correct before i go hunting for axles? It seems viable but i would greatfully receive any information on the above as i cant decide if it would work without seeing it first. Thanks to all :blink:

Defenders built in the past few years have drag link steering arms on both left and right side swivels.

Standard LandRovers and most other vehicles are built with what is called Ackerman steering linkage, whereby the steering arms for the trackrod splay outwards from the king pin axis if the trackrod is out front, or splay inwards if the trackrod is behind the axle. The idea is that when making a turn the inside wheel turns sharper than the outside wheel.

By relocating the trackrod to the front and plugging it in to the draglink steering arms you will have reverse Ackerman angles, that is the ouside wheel will turn sharper than the inside wheel. I have been running reverse Ackerman (with Series swivels)for years now without any complaints. The steering feels more precise and responsive and the turning circle, particularly on loose surfaces is tighter too. No detrimental affect on tyre life despite increased scrub radius due to the addition of portal dropboxes.As you were advised, Suzuki/Toyota Landcruiser type draglink linkage needs to be made up.

IMHO increased articulation on a leafsprung front end is not particularly effective unless some form of tramp/axle hop control device is also fitted.

Bill.

Gremlin did a good write up here of a DIY disc conversion, it's not without a bit of effort but it's doable. CPC bought the Gon2Far stuff but I've not noticed them selling it, the swivel mounts aren't rocket science and they do seem to work, you can see mine working at the start of

if you look hard.

It'd be worth doing some basic experiments though, find out what's limiting your travel - is it shocks maxing out, springs not flexing, props binding?

One basic limitation of leafers are the shocks, put longer shocks and extended shackles as a start, reduce the short leafs in every pack and install a anti tranp device or rod. I have chucked the paras away in favour of standard leafs, more tunable INMO.

If you are going trough the hassle of finding and fitting another axle than forget the rover items and try to find a toy axle, its stronger from the start.

Grem

Thanks for advise think i will try the coil axle conversion at the front with the trackrod @ the front of the axle, as for the suspension its the springs that are limiting because of the length they dont "twist" my mate has a jeep the front springs are substantially longer the articulation is great other leafers like the toyota hilux have longer springs, i like the swivel idea as it lets the spring go much further without it having to twist the spring, also you can lock them up for road use making no difference to road handling

Are you saying you're going to put a coiler axle on the front only? That's going to look a bit funny with the front track 6" wider than the rear :blink:

NO WAY!! Back axle i already have late model with discs with coil mounts lopped off ready for the leaf perches to be welded on its just the front axle parts i need just didnt want to make the leap without asking a few questions about how to graft the front axle on cheers for your concern though! ;)