Mounting an oil cooler

Les Henson

I've been cleaning out the oil cooler for catflap and wonder if it has to be mounted in an air stream or is it ok to just place it anywhere. I previously had it mounted in front of the radiator and it's badly clogged up with mud and difficult to clean all the fins, so I'd rather put it out of the splash if it's ok to do that.

Engine is 2.5TD with intercooler (not a 200TDi).

Thankyou laydees and gentlemen.

Les. :)

I've been cleaning out the oil cooler for catflap and wonder if it has to be mounted in an air stream or is it ok to just place it anywhere. I previously had it mounted in front of the radiator and it's badly clogged up with mud and difficult to clean all the fins, so I'd rather put it out of the splash if it's ok to do that.

Engine is 2.5TD with intercooler (not a 200TDi).

Thankyou laydees and gentlemen.

sorry but no. water, oil and intercooler radiators work by transferring the vast majority of heat to air by convection (not radiaton despite the name).

You need air flow either by vehcile movement or forced air flow i.e. fans.

Can you not mount it behind the radiaotr so that takes the brunt of the mud?

Or somwhere furhter back?

You can buy miniature fans for this; mocal sell them but are expensive. I was looking at PC fans, 12 cm, cheap of ebay but probably wonl;t be waterproof. I even contacted a company slling water proof fans but nin the end decided not to fit fans.

You may want to get down the scrppies and pick up a interior heater and modify the fan from that for your oil cooler.

alternatively fit a RT mud damper.

Thanks 02. This engine is not really dependant on an oil cooler if I remember correctly, but I want to fit one to be on the safe side, so maybe having it in a forced air situation isn't that important? The only place I felt I could put it with little fuss and ease of fitment was as shown in the pictures. At least half of it is in a forced air position.

From the front:-

med_gallery_2_28_869795.jpg

And it's location at the side of the radiator:-

med_gallery_2_28_321890.jpg

Once I've figured-out how to fit the intercooler and leccy fan to the front panel it's away to be shot blasted and painted.

I did think about using the TD or even TDI assembly Ralph, but at that time I didn't envisage the intercooler. The oil cooler was previously mounted this same way, but I wasn't sure about air flow. The TDi assembly would be full width of the front panel, so the steering relay would be in the way probably. I suppose I could have put a 90 front end on and gained plenty of room, but I'm set to keep the appearance of a series body.

Im now at the stage of working out the finer points, and it's a bit or a head scratcher. I'm pretty sure the intrcooler and fan aren't going to fit side by side in front of the radiator, so I might have to buy a pull fan instead. At least that way there'll be plenty of room to work.

I fitted the Fuel filter housing yesterday (series unit) Crosland filters are blue, same as catflap, so a bit of chavvy bling there! :D

I've ordered all the fuel pipes for a 90 and series as I can't get my brain around the plumbing.

Things can get messy with botched wiring/pipes, so a bit of thought is needed.

Knowing what you want to do and actually achieving it are two very different things unfortunately.

Les.

:(

Edited by Les Henson