Suspention lift on a series 3

newbe

From a suspention lift i would like to gain more articulation and a tad more ground clearance, but most of all get my wheels and tyers away from the wheel arch. the pannel is digging into my tyers and taking quite reasonable size chunks out of them. I dont want a huge lift just a couple of inches would (should) do the trick.
if i got a defender id have road tax to pay though. i was going to get one until i saw this series for sale. im not to bothered about the front, i have plenty of clearance its just the rear is chewing up my tyers. i really dont want to start cutting pannels though.

Since the main issue is bodywork/tyre interface the logical solution is to trim the bodywork (or fit smaller tyres ;) ) Far simpler, not going bring in any other problems and won't cost anything other than a bit of time

Why don't you want to trim panels??

Set of parabolics and a set of extended shackles is what i have on mine, had to put 90 arches on but im running 35 12.50 15 mud terrains and wheel spacers so needed to keep it legal(ish). Use the military long shackles at the front so you dont bind up the prop shaft uj and make some up for the rear out of good strong plate or bar i went another inch and a half @ the rear and have only small amounts of under arch scrubbing when at full articulation the fronts dont articulate half as well as the rear so rubbing in the arches isnt usually the issue but tyres rubbing springs on full lock can damage tyre sidewalls hence spacers or offset rims

im not sure what wheels are on it, all i know is there on offset rims. do you have any pictures?

Why don't you try reading the information on the side of the tyre, and measuring the dimensions of the wheel rim?

As has been said, you don't sound like you need to go crazy. Either just trim the wheel arches a bit or throw on some extended shackles and see how you get on. Both dead cheap solutions.

Al.

Standard rims should sort it then...? only reason it will be biting is the rims.... No pics of the acctual suspension yet but will post asap....

post-4890-1210886155_thumb.jpg

Series three with 265/75/r16 alligators on standard rims with parabolics and military shackles couldn't get tyres to rub....

And series 2 with 245/75/r16's in 1" offset rims, couldn't get it too rub.....?

Can't try and give an exact solution without knowing exactly what your running.....?

post-4890-1211014095_thumb.jpg

This is a standard shackle SWB... post-4890-1211014144_thumb.jpg

military shackles and parabolics will give you a couple inches lift and give a good bit of articulation....?

[/quote

As you can see i dont have much clearence at the front of the rear arch

post-6727-1211308824_thumb.jpg

Those re-molds will be slightly bigger than a new tyre, I was running similar size tyres and rims with no probs BFG 245/75r16 track-edges on inch offset rims, much and such what you are running, and i had standard suspension....

The clearance at the front there shouldn't matter as when the axle articulates the wheel will go backwards and thus further away from where its close to...... ;)

See my first post on this topic, see how close my tyres are to binding and how much clearance i have at the back, this is as the wheel goes back and up at the same time....

So yours shouldn't pose a problem, unless you just want a lift anyways....?

diesel6cyl@hotmail.co.uk (MSN) If you want any help when im online

6cylTDi - there's some interesting mods there.

With the parabolics and extended shackles it look like you have about a 6-inch lift, is that right?

Have you got wheel spacers or anything like that to compensate for the additional height of your truck?

The front crossmember you have altered - is it supported at all on that side now and do you get any problems with the chassis rails flexing if it isn't ?

Did you have any problems connecting the PAS box to the wheels, how did you do it?

Thanks.

Les.

Because shackles are only at one end of the spring a 2'' longer shackle will only increase the bump stop clearance by 1'', and that is only if the shackle angle was vertical.It will depend on the condition of your existing springs,but If your standard shackle angle is around 45 degrees then the gain probably will be less. It may be an optical illusion, but I've seen this many times before where people have fitted excessively long shackles, usually to compensate for shagged springs.The rear spring eye on 6cylTDI's super long shackle vehicle appears to be at about the same height as the axle centre height, yet the height of the spring eye on the photo of the standard SWB is above the axle centreline, so it would appear that departure angle, which on a SWB is the rear spring eye has actually deteriorated. perhaps the extra leverage of the longer shackles bends the rear half of the spring a little more? I'd also imagine that rear end sway would be greater with those long shackles.

Bill.

6cylTDi - there's some interesting mods there.

With the parabolics and extended shackles it look like you have about a 6-inch lift, is that right?

Have you got wheel spacers or anything like that to compensate for the additional height of your truck?

The front crossmember you have altered - is it supported at all on that side now and do you get any problems with the chassis rails flexing if it isn't ?

Did you have any problems connecting the PAS box to the wheels, how did you do it?

Thanks.

Les.

Not quite 6" but not far off, no i don't have wheel spacers on but there is a massive 10" offset on my custom made wheels which is more than ample to get full lock with 40" tyres, new axles will be here this week anyway. The front crossmember is not supported and there is some flex in the chassis at the moment however i have 8" OD 6mm wall steel pipe thats getting welded in between the front spring hangers after they have been modified which will act as my bumper too. PAS isn't conected yet it will be a hydro assist set up everythings ready for it just need the axles....

Because shackles are only at one end of the spring a 2'' longer shackle will only increase the bump stop clearance by 1'', and that is only if the shackle angle was vertical.It will depend on the condition of your existing springs,but If your standard shackle angle is around 45 degrees then the gain probably will be less. It may be an optical illusion, but I've seen this many times before where people have fitted excessively long shackles, usually to compensate for shagged springs.The rear spring eye on 6cylTDI's super long shackle vehicle appears to be at about the same height as the axle centre height, yet the height of the spring eye on the photo of the standard SWB is above the axle centreline, so it would appear that departure angle, which on a SWB is the rear spring eye has actually deteriorated. perhaps the extra leverage of the longer shackles bends the rear half of the spring a little more? I'd also imagine that rear end sway would be greater with those long shackles.

Bill.

No there is a definate good increase in height and articulation. The sway was terrible previously and is a bit worse now, once the gas shocks are on that should be cured a bit. The articulation is pretty damn good tho better than most lifted 90's and 110's around here and yes the departure angle is a bit less soon bump over things tho. lol

Make me an offer + postage........???? Take minuites to make with 10mm flat bar some small pipe as spacers, Bolts A drill and grinder....???

Up to you...?

Ill just buy them off you if you dont mind. Where abouts are you from? might be able to come pick them up. last time i used a grinder on little things like that the disk snapped and ended up in my leg...

Ill just buy them off you if you dont mind. Where abouts are you from? might be able to come pick them up. last time i used a grinder on little things like that the disk snapped and ended up in my leg...

I'm IV36 postcode, and i'm approx 25 miles east of Inverness. I wouldn't be able to send them untill next week at some point so will find out postage costs and let you know...

I'm IV36 postcode, and i'm approx 25 miles east of Inverness. I wouldn't be able to send them untill next week at some point so will find out postage costs and let you know...

ahh nowhere near me then.. im from brotton (near middlesbrough). Thats fine just let me know. my e mail is broughton69@hotmail.comor just leave me a msg on here. thanks alot, it might solve my problem

Heres 265/75r16's on the back of my series with parabolics and military shackles.

post-4890-1211397650_thumb.jpg

And here's 245/75r16s on 1" offset rims with standard springs and shackles.

post-4890-1211397699_thumb.jpg

Niether ever fowled..... 245/75r16's and inch offset is much and such the same as you are running...