It's too tight. . . my doors, that is.

Hello everyone

I'm in the process of fitting new anti-burst locks. The problem I'm having is that the fit between the lock and the striker plate seems to be incredibly tight. The striker plate has a rubber bumper at the top. One of the doors will only close properly with a HUGE slam, the other won't even close fully. Any one else had this problem? Is it just a bit of help with a file that's needed or does anyone have a miracle cure.

Thanks in advance

JP

First check the slot in the lock lines up with the latch - you may need to adjust either the latch or the door lock assembly up or down a little to line them up nicely.

If it needs a real good slam, then the latch post is sitting too far inboard - loosen the bolts a little and tap the striker post out a bit. Tighten it up, see how it feels, and carry on adjusting if it's still tight.

A little grease on the striker post helps as well.

Also check the front edge of the door isn't pressing too tightly into the seals stopping the door closing properly - sometimes you need to twist the door frame a little to stop the top half pressing in too tightly

Eightpots suggestion must be well followed....It is a tricky operation and if it does not fit you might destroy the locker.Be patient and continue the adjustments until it locks on the right spot. And like you see, there is room for adjustments..

Thanks guys, I've pretty much been trying all that. Thing is, even before fitting them, the striker wouldn't fit the lock properly.

No worries, back to car for some more fiddling.

Thank you again.

JP

It is the right striker, I checked and rechecked. I've got one of them working well, the other is proving to be a bit more fiddly. Getting better though. Aah, the fun and games. . .