Oily bell housing

V8david

Hi all, just a quick question, got a 3.5 Efi with ZF auto box. I undid the little inspection plate on the bottom of the bell housing for reasons I wont go into! Anyway, there was clean autobox fluid in there. Soooooo, my question is:

I overfilled the autobox when I changed the oil a while back, ran the engine, realised it was too full and emptied some out til it was right on the dipstick. That level has been fine ever since and I have no problems with the function of the box. I'm basically wondering if when it was over full it could have dumped oil in the bell housing? If so do I take that plate off and drain the bell housing, leave it for a bit and then see if it starts to fill again?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question :ph34r: (to some people):ph34r:

If so do I take that plate off and drain the bell housing, leave it for a bit and then see if it starts to fill again?

Hi, this is exactly what you need to do. If it will be OK, don't bother with it.

ATF = leaking torque converter to gearbox seal

Engine oil = leaking rear crankshaft seal

As to what to do will depend on how much you are losing. As replacement of either seal is an engine out/gearbox off job you need to decide if you can live with it.

If it is engine oil you may want to look at the engine breathers as if they are blocked the pressure can unseat the crank seal with disastrous results.

Cheers all. Definitely ATF and I can definitely live with it! Level hasn't moved in the gearbox which is why I was wondering if it could have overflowed into the bell housing and just stayed there. I'll empty it and see if it starts to fill up again.