Diesel leak: tank or lines? (300 tdi)-common problems?

In the last couple of weeks a small leak has developed on my 300tdi 90 - I saw a few drips on the front corner of the tank guard and on removing it there's clearly been a slow leak which has soaked into the mud along the chassis tops (near the front outrigger), down the front of the tank etc. (possibly from 'using' the tank guard on rocks - may have disturbed something?)

Having cleaned it up there seem to be 2 suspects

- the tank seam nearest the chassis/front outrigger, or

-the two hard plastic pipes for fuel supply/return - espacially right by the front corner where they are clipped together and into the chassis - this is part of the 'damp' area and may have been worn through by the clip?.

(edited- or possibly a crack in the tank - possibly in upper section as it doesn't seem to leak running static but traces are there after series of speedy roundabouts)

The fuel lines run parallel with the tank where it is wet with diesel, and touch for a while - so the tank could have contaminated the lines and vice versa. Also the mud on top of the chassis is wet with diesel for about a 2 foot span - but maybe this is due to the oil 'wicking' its way along, even though not much is leaking out?

I've been underneath with the engine running and can't see any drips - and the engine runs fine, also can't see any leaks from the seam (although currently about 2/3rds full) - so having trouble diagnosing it...

Grateful for any advice on finding leaks, common problems on Defenders, do hard lines wear through? etc

If it is the tank it doesn't look too bad to drop out, but the lines look like a real pain - any advice please?

In either case the lines will need to be disturbed - is there a tech help on bleeding system?

Many thanks - any thoughts welcomed.

In the last couple of weeks a small leak has developed on my 300tdi 90 - I saw a few drips on the front corner of the tank guard and on removing it there's clearly been a slow leak which has soaked into the mud along the chassis tops (near the front outrigger), down the front of the tank etc. (possibly from 'using' the tank guard on rocks - may have disturbed something?)

Having cleaned it up there seem to be 2 suspects

- the tank seam nearest the chassis/front outrigger, or

-the two hard plastic pipes for fuel supply/return - espacially right by the front corner where they are clipped together and into the chassis - this is part of the 'damp' area and may have been worn through by the clip?.

(edited- or possibly a crack in the tank - possibly in upper section as it doesn't seem to leak running static but traces are there after series of speedy roundabouts)

The fuel lines run parallel with the tank where it is wet with diesel, and touch for a while - so the tank could have contaminated the lines and vice versa. Also the mud on top of the chassis is wet with diesel for about a 2 foot span - but maybe this is due to the oil 'wicking' its way along, even though not much is leaking out?

I've been underneath with the engine running and can't see any drips - and the engine runs fine, also can't see any leaks from the seam (although currently about 2/3rds full) - so having trouble diagnosing it...

Grateful for any advice on finding leaks, common problems on Defenders, do hard lines wear through? etc

If it is the tank it doesn't look too bad to drop out, but the lines look like a real pain - any advice please?

In either case the lines will need to be disturbed - is there a tech help on bleeding system?

Many thanks - any thoughts welcomed.

Think the only way you will find out is to wash it all off first.......but if its running ok then it sounds like its the return line or tank......if it was the supply line then you would draw air into your system and the engine would run rough.

Thanks guys

Having cleaned it all up and then left it overnight with the fuel lines moved aside from the tank, there is definitely fuel siting along the joint flange, so it looks to me that it is seeping through a rusty seam.... especially as its sitting 2/3 full so fuel it must be over the joint level. Just need to do a few miles and check it DOESNT leak once the level is below the seam

I'm thinking I might get away with trying some of the tank sealant epoxy stuff you can get - might be enough to seal up for a while if I can trace where leaks & clean up the edges weel enough?

Otherwise can anyone recomend a source for a replacement tank? - is a cheaper copy part OK or is L/R part advisable?

Anbody any helpful hints or tech' on tank replacement please?