TD5 leaking water from cyl head plug

Hi All,

we've got a Td5 (125k km) which had water level with a tendence to go down; upon close inspection n. 1 suspect was the EGR radiator, as the corrugated pipe was full with black and oily water. But after removing the turbo shield, another suspect was found, and it is a plug fitted on the side of the cyl head, between 3rd and 4th cyl exhaust port.

In the attached picture you can see the orange residues from the pink/orange antifreeze.

The plug has an hexagonal inbus and is decribed in the parts cat ad a "water drain plug".

Obviously, the exhaust manifold has to be removed, to get at the plug :angry:

Advice on how to get the plug to make a good seal? Which product would best suit???

TYA

post-8482-1211106797_thumb.jpg

post-8482-1211106827_thumb.png

Don't even think about it Silvio. Those plugs are impossible to get out unless you take the head off and give it to a good engineering shop.

Best to live with the leak unfortunately. :(

I think we had one TIG welded once.

Yes, I feared that the coolant residues and the oxide from the head ally could make it almost impossible to get the plug out of its threaded hole...

Thanks God it's not mine, but of a friend... :P:lol: