disco 200 stearing box

old leafer

ok this is a tech question is it posable to remove the top of a stearing box and change the gasket

if so any one got any idea what i will find when i take the top off

fingers crossed

as i dont want to pay the 270 pounds for a new one

I think the cover can be removed. Best wat to do it is to slacken all the bolts a few turns and see if the cover is then loose. There's a powerful spring in there somewhere that sets the pre-load, but I think it runs across, rather than up and down.

If the cover is loose, then I would remove it.

Les.

Take a look at Paddocks site, their prices INCLUDE £100 surcharge, so they're about £100 nett. Follow the link:

http://www.paddockspares.com/sp/category/D...ring_Boxes.html

They may well be cheaper than new, but i went through 3 boxes in as many months.... the recon ones were not very good, i bought new, and have had no issues since.....

I think the cover can be removed. Best wat to do it is to slacken all the bolts a few turns and see if the cover is then loose. There's a powerful spring in there somewhere that sets the pre-load, but I think it runs across, rather than up and down.

If the cover is loose, then I would remove it.

Les.

thanx les i will give it a go nothing to lose

and as to the debate about new or recon i do high miles and with such an important part as steering i would never take

chance

an out of control disco would make a real mess at 90 eeerrrrr i mean 70 on the motorway

after all recon is a broken part been made good (hopefuly)

i no mine is good just weeping fron the top gasket