Replacement seat box

Was drilling nice hole to take a wiring conduit from neatly battery box into engine compartment to tidy up leads for cut off switch and proposed dplit charge etc. I was aware it looked a bit ropey but hadn'e really expected half the front to come off when I tapped it with a pin hammer! Still, I suppose better to find out before I get the double batteries installed :rolleyes:

How easy, or otherwise, is it to fit a new box? I have tried searching but not really found a suitable thread.

I am not keen on a liner since space is already limited so presumably I need to remove the whole seat box assembly, remove the old battery box and fit a new one. Can I do this without welding?

Also some indication of just what else has to come off would be useful and any hints as to best place to get a suitable new one. I have seen mention of flat bottomed boxes which would seem a good idea for the double battery setup.

Meanwhile I will not need to be concerned about any build up of hydrogen, however SWMBO might find the seat rather draughtier than usual!

Thanks

Yes. Easily. You will need to remove the seat box to get the battery box out.

Although you can buy repair panels.

This post might help

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=365443.0

The panels came from a company called Y R M Metal solutions. The site was down when I last checked.

This way you can do the job in sity.

HTH

mike

I've got this idea....

In the next few weeks my battery box is coming out.

Now what at this time I don't know is can I get that box out without cutting it, or removing the seat box.

I'll cut it if it means the seat box out.

The thoughts at present are to undo the passenger side floor. Remove the passenger seat. then the batteries.

Drill out the rivits and spot welds.

Gently lift the box and try knocking the outside of the box in towards the chassis.

Will it work.

So far I don't know but it's worth a try.

Tyhen I'll be making a new battery box. Widers over the chassis and deeper between the rail and the chassis.

The new box will be made in five pieces for ease of fitting.

Well that's the plan.

Plan A :blink:

mike

Mike if your binning the old box anyway I'd be tempted to cut it out in sections, unless you want to keep it as a template for making the new one? If it was me I'd take the whole seatbox out and do it on the bench but you probably have far more things bolted or wired to yours :lol: a reciprocating saw would probably be my weapon of choice for removing it in situ though... how much lower will the box hang? what are you making it out of? Thats another of my vapour projects...

Mike

Mike.

The idea. IDEA :blink::huh: You understand. Is to turn the fold on the inside side the other way. With the new piece being straight that should give me I thing another 1 1/2 inches room.

The intention is to fit the OE battery in that space. Yes there's enough height.

Then to fold that piece down outside the chassis about two/three inches.

At the outside to make a 90deg fold. Slot that under the outside of the seat box leaving about 1/4 inch from the door frame bit.

Then bring the outside and inside together making a floor for the aux battery which is deeper then the OE one.

There will be a ply board over the top of the aux battery on which I'll put the fuse boxes for the fittings that come off the aux battery.

That is the plan. In practice things might be different.

Whehn I start I'll do a blw by blow account, including the balls up's on Landrover addict.

Can you understand that ??

mike

I do not have fabricating facilities, or abilities for that matter! As a result I am very tempted by the aluminium parts from YRM. Is there likely to be a corrosion issue since the original (at least I am assuming it is steel) one is steel. I don't think there will be since everything else thereabouts seems to be alu.

I also assume I prime with a suitable primer and give a good few coats of decent paint before fitting.

Make sense?