Electric Seat Switchs

Part1cle

I've looked around the forum trying to find out about the electric seat switches on our RHD '98 300TDI Disco ES Premium.

I have been quoted a horrendous amount for the drivers side (£120+ each) and was wondering if they are common to other LR's.

They are the ones with a dark grey mounting plate with sliders for forward/back/up/down on the base and rake on the back that fit either side of the centre console.

Can I get just the switch, behind the plate, and if so what's the part number?

Could Disco II switches be modded to suit?

Any advise would be most welcome!

Thanks, H

Personally I would not open them up. I did this with my old ones and trying to get the little ball bearings and springs back in the right place was a nightmare. New they sell for about £100 each.

HTH

Ivan

Feedback as promised:

Pulled the switch from the centre console, collected a few screwdrivers, a very fine 1/2 round needle file, a very fine small oil stone, some switch cleaner and a tub of high melting point grease from the garage, cleared the kitchen table and set to work!

Removed the three X-head screws, prised the bits that you push for seat adjustment off (that was the hardest part, scared I was going to break them) and the case came apart easily revealing a load of brass bits, springs, ateel balls and bits of plastic. Panic! No, think about it, weighed up where they had all come from (2 balls to a spring etc.) it was obvious really.

Cleaned the black cr4p off the contacts, being very careful not to gouge big grooves in them, liberally coated everything with switch cleaner/lubricant and started to assemble it all back together. When the plastic actuators were in place I dropped the first ball in, then the spring, when the spring was in place I smeared some grease on the top to hold the upper ball (shouldn't do any harm as it will lubricate the movement anyway) and went on until they were all in place.

With all three sub-assy's in located I carefully placed the cover back over and prayed! This is where it could all go wrong, but with a bit of help from a small screwdriver it all clipped into place and nothing rattled - all the balls must have seated (as the actress said to the holy one).

Quickly remounted this lot onto the mounting plate, fixed the X-head screws and took it out to the car. Plugged the connections in and all the actions worked first time, without any blue smoke!

So it's fairly easy with a steady hand and the right bits of kit, which most garages probably have, with the exception of the switch cleaner - but thats easy to get. Just make sure when it goes back together nothing has slipped out of place, it wouldn't be good to have the internal bits shorting out!

Hope this helps others, sorry to go on a bit.......

Thanks, again for all the advice. Cheers, H.