Bonnet sound proofing stuff....

streaky

I don't know if I'm alone on this one?

The under bonnet insulating felt on the Disco has been getting rather tatter recently. Parts of the felt were falling down into the engine bay, the black outer fabric was peeling away from the sound proofing felt etc...especially above the battery compartment.

Before I fitted my snorkel I was always finding bits of it sucked into the air box. I also found a few strips of the black fabric wrapped into the alternator cooling fins. I don't know if it's flammable but that could have been expensive.

I mentioned it to the supervisor at the Local workshop and he came out with a sound proofing sheet from a Mercedes. It's made from some type of non'flammable foam rubber and does the same job as the Rover felt stuff. This sound damper sheet has cost me 18 quid which I though wasn't bad. It's attached using the existing plastic push buttons and also impact adhesive around the edges.

What have folk done about this?

Thx.

S.

I don't know if I'm alone on this one?

The under bonnet insulating felt on the Disco has been getting rather tatter recently. Parts of the felt were falling down into the engine bay, the black outer fabric was peeling away from the sound proofing felt etc...especially above the battery compartment.

Before I fitted my snorkel I was always finding bits of it sucked into the air box. I also found a few strips of the black fabric wrapped into the alternator cooling fins. I don't know if it's flammable but that could have been expensive.

I mentioned it to the supervisor at the Local workshop and he came out with a sound proofing sheet from a Mercedes. It's made from some type of non'flammable foam rubber and does the same job as the Rover felt stuff. This sound damper sheet has cost me 18 quid which I though wasn't bad. It's attached using the existing plastic push buttons and also impact adhesive around the edges.

What have folk done about this?

Thx.

I have a V8 I like my noise!!! no soundproofing on my disco!

firemannotsam

I don't know about the Discovery one but the Defender bonnet trim is not that expensive - about 40 quid for the genuine article. I have put one in my last 2 vehicles as it hasn't been fitted as standard for some years now.

I think on the Discovery V8 it probably also stops too much heat getting through to the paint on top of the bonnet!

Both my 200 and my 300 have soundproofing - the 200 stuff seems to be fine, but the 300 is in a similar, if not quite so advanced state of disintegration as you describe...

I don't suppose you have a part number for the mercedes replacement piece do you?

Cheers

Mark

We dont currently have one on our disco (97 V8), but on our last tdi we had the same problem. Being a bit on the frugal side i also looked for alternatives and ended up using fire proof foam camping mats, fastened on the underside of the bonnet with aeorsol fabric glue and some small clips made from 22gauge steel. it made a noticable difference to the noise and i have since used the same stuff to soundproof the inside of the cab on my lightweight, the biggest change was when i did the roof !!! although this took alot of patience, and numerus pieces of wood to hold it place untill the glue went off properly.