anyone painted there chassis before?

Hello there tomorow i have the mammoth task of getting 21 years of underseal over underseal over mud off my 90s chassis i have bought a angle grinder with a wire brush attachment and some hammerite black paint can anyone else think of what else i would need?? apart from copious amounts of tea and biscuits!! ta

I stripped a chassis and painted it with Hammerite smooth. It failed while it was still sat on my drive ! (cracked, rust came through). The best stuff I've used so far is Hammerite with Waxoyl, which I got from Halfords and was about £20 for a 2-litre tin. Stone chip is good - applied with a Shutz gun, but it takes time to cure.

Les.

Hi Luke,

Welcome to the forum, If you can get a good key on the surface then I have heard good things about POR15 but it is eye wateringly expensive! If you took it right back to bare metal I'd be tempted with Galvafroid or Zinga. Don't forget the Waxoyl as they tend to rust from the inside out, theres plenty of info in the tech archive on how to waxoyl!

Mike

Hello there tomorow i have the mammoth task of getting 21 years of underseal over underseal over mud off my 90s chassis i have bought a angle grinder with a wire brush attachment and some hammerite black paint can anyone else think of what else i would need?? apart from copious amounts of tea and biscuits!! ta

Hi welcome to the forum,just an idea but if you find it hard going stripping the old underseal off then a high power pressure washer does a brilliant job,hot is better but cold will do,its good for the nooks and crannies...regards tris

Guest otchie1

Hammerite is designed to be painted on to rusty surfaces. Not flaky rusty but certainly rough to the touch rusty. It then does chemical magic with the rust ensuring it sticks and the rust stops. If you paint clean shiny metal with Hammerite then be prepared with a rag to mop it up as it sloughs off.

If you have to use it on clean metal then make sure you really roughen the surface with swirly work with the coarse sand paper.

well thats one horrible job done haha thanks for all the replys but as i found out yesturday it wasnt underseal at all it was old waxoyl! so it had done its job and with the grinder wire brush it took it back down to the original chassis paint i roughed that up with the brush and slopped the hammerite on and it looks well good! just gotta give it anther coat to get the bits i missed whilst painting at 9:30 at night had to do a bit of welding but it should be ok one small hole just adjacent to shock absorber and one a bit further down behind radias arm and shockingly the front dumb iron where the bumper and A frame sit where the jack points are :o so after MOT going to get a replacement for that haha all went well thou. And after that had to rebuild a series 2a so a busy day cheers for the replies.

Ta

Luke