Series 3 brake upgrade?

Boro

I was wondering whether its possible to convert the front brakes on a series 3 to discs, is this possible using parts from a 90 onto the series casing or is the only way to swap axles?

Thanks tonk i have had a look and there seems to be a number of options, in your opinion which is the best way of doing it, i would consider buying a kit if its not mega ££££ dont suppose you are able to offer such a kit (noticed that you have done a few) or point me to a few websites that offer kits? i need to retain the series axles here as i want to retain tax exempt status and as i understand it by keeping the chassis, axles and suspension from the series vehicle that retains 9 points (where 8 are needed) and if im reading it right even if i convert to parabolic springs these are classed as stock as they are still leaf yes? cheers!

Thanks gremlin i had read that (good read) what steering issues would i have if i ran a stage 1 v8 axle? or is that only if you went and used the 90 hubs and swivels etc, just that this may be a plus point seeing as i plan on fitting the 300 tdi lump with r380 box and transfer box (thus permanent 4wd would not be an issue seeing as the axle has cv's) on a side note will the diffs from a tdi 90 fit the series axle or are the splines on the half shafts different? as these would surely suit the box and transfer box better than the series items, need to start costing this whole project out really and deciding on whats important and what can wait! (all about money at the end of the day)

A few years back Bearmach built a series 3 out of parts from it's entire parts line. The 88 was built with front disc brakes. How they did it was that they welded Defender or possibly it was Disco I :unsure: crome swivel balls to the front axles, then from that point they installed the disc brakes.

Yes it's possible to install disc brakes in a kit form or by being creative with Land Rover parts. If your in good with your local breakers, this might be an option.

Todd.

Boro, if you get a stage 1 v8 axle than the diff ratio is the same as a 90/110, diff spline are 10 like early 90/110. Steering connections are the same as a series 3, if you used 90 swivels and outers then you will have steering issues. early rangie/90 diffs will fit in series axles.

Grem

How much can i expect to pay for a stage 1 front axle? would it be worth fitting the rear as well (assuming it fits?) or are they no stronger than the series items (so just change the diff) cheers

Is it a short or long wheelbase?

If it's a shorty then if you where to go with a Stage One front axle then with the engine and box you are suggesting you would be better off at the 3.54:1 ratio it comes with as this is what that set-up is designed for and then just pop in a second hand 3.54:1 diff in the back. The 3.54:1 crown wheel and pinions are inherently stronger to which will be good for a 300 too. If you have a 109" then it would be trickier to find a 3.54:1 leafer salisbury, but not as hard as finding a good stage one front I guess. You could always just swap the diff but a bit more involved than a Rover one.

I have a front stage one axle which I have yet to open up to see what it's like, but if I don't use it Grem has expressed an interest in it.

Just to check, you do know they are drum braked like all series although with the bigger 3" wide 11" drums like the 1 ton and 6 cylinder.

Its a swb and yes i am aware that the stage 1 have the larger drums (which would be replaced with discs anyway), what can i rob the 3.54:1 rear diff from? is this just a rangerover diff? (its been a good 10 years since i played about with landrovers so the memory is a little fuzzy!)

Edit: being a bit silly probably (tired its been a long day) i expect your referring to the early 90 diffs which gremlin mentioned above, gremlin could the steering issues be resolved by using the steering bits from a 90 as i fancy pas anyway as part of the whole upgrade and overhaul

3.54 Rover diffs are plentiful and go for about £60 second-hand. Front and rears are the same it's the rear salisbury on a lwb that makes things a little trickier.

I just rebuilt a 3.54:1 Rover Diff for a friend with new bearings oh and it had a Detroit Locker centre and I pegged it too lol.

• 2 months later...

Boro...

The steering issues are related to the track rod that links the left and right wheels together. On any series axle (inc. V8) the track rod is at the front and doen't interfere with anything. The coiler axles (90, RR etc.) have the same link at the back and because this track rod now has to miss the diff nose and propshaft, it is mounted lower down and sits right where the leaf springs would be!

This can be overcome, usually by fitting parabolic springs and longer shackles but there is still very little room between the top of the leaf springs and the bottom of the diff nose for the track rod.

HTH.