2.25 petrol engine missing

Wuld it be possible for the world to shed some light for me!!

I have just bought a 90 on a C plate with a 2.25 petrol engine in it. The guy i bought it off has claimed that he has only done 700 miles in the past year, hencr the reason for sale.

The issue i have is that when i start it from cold it misses somewhat, when it warms up it runs fine and i can get 75mph out the thing- yes the speedo does work!!

im thinking at the moment along the lines of : old fuel, using carb cleaner etc

has anyone had this too, or can help?

Many thanks

Neil

It depends how handy you are?

Whipping of the carb and giving it a good clean/refurb wouldn't hurt to start with or the other end of the spectrum would be a webber replacement?

How much fuel does it currently have in the tank? It may be worth topping up with decent quality fuel as well to dilute the old stuff.

With regards to doing 70, firstly how are your ear drums have they stopped bleeding :D and secondly how good are your brakes?

I would find a quite country road and give them a good test at various speeds to get used to them.

My old series 3 was fine until you had to jam them on and it can be quite frightening interesting when you have he best part of a ton slewing all over the road.

I am sure a grown up will be along soon to advise on the best /cheapest way to move forward with your carb.

Hope This Helps.

Cheers

G :)

You could stick some Redex or similar in your tank to clean out the carb. IMHO interfering with the carb is likely to create more problems than it will solve.

Other than that I would make sure that the spark plugs are in good condition and properly gapped, the leads are in good order (new looking!) and that the whole ignition system is clean and in good order. For the price of them I would be inclined to replace the points, condenser, rotor, cap, leads and plugs with good quality replacement items.

Chris

Thanks for that,

stripping the carb down seems to be a good idea, I have never done one before but I have just done a 200 conversion on my other 90 so i think with the haynes book of myths and legends It should be ok.

fuels on the red so new fuel and redex is on its way.

the webber option sounds good but 70 is plenty fast enogh to try and stop at thanks, maybe someone has an anchor i can trow out the back!

Cheers

Neil

My 2.25 90 will do 70 too! The noise isnt that bad after using a series vehicle for 5 years as my daily drive. Its the canvas flapping that makes the loudest noise, unless its wet and then its like a drumskin -no flap.

I would put some new fuel in, maybe run some redex through and make sure all the ignition components are up to scratch. I wouldnt fiddle with any timing or anything yet as you say it runs fine when warm.

Enjoy! :D

doh.......I thought it was an actual carb problem he had :blush:.

As all the guys have said above check/replace your ignition parts first.

Replace those parts that don't need any adjustment and leave the fiddling to someone with some experience.

Cheers

G