Battery relocation

MECCANO

Hello

Another one for “the collective”

Being the king of indecision, I have to ask.

What is the best location for a battery, and why?

I'm swiftly running out of room in the engine-bay of the LWT (with a Tdi going in there!!!)

It’s been suggested that I convert one of the tanks/ make a box to locate it under the passenger’s seat. However I would quite like to keep the second tank and I have yet to see this done to decent standard!!!

Alternatively I could go the route of "originality", putting it in a box between the passenger and drivers seats. Or box it in behind the rear bulkhead.

I have reservations about this, as I thought they needed to be fairly well ventilated???

So can any one think of an ingenious idea???

Ta Muchly

If you put it in a box anywhere in the passenger compartment make sure the box can be sealed against acid escape should you roll it. As for ventilation, you just need a breather pipe to the underside of the vehicle. There are plenty of cars with the battery tucked away in the boot with only minimal venting. Oh and make sure the thing's secure within the box.

The 24V FFR Lightweights had 2 batteries between the front seats, although you probably already know this...

The lid is held in place with 2 of the old series sprung bonnet clamps, and is VERY secure, and in stock form I believe it had a rubber seal all the way around the bottom, though I have yet to see one fitted to a LWT. This lid is ventilated all the way along the back of it with a slot... hang on a photo might help...

click... whirr... resize... done!

Here:

post-4193-1212781195_thumb.jpg

You can see the vent slot clearly in the back of the box, and the fact that the batteries are sunk into the seat box a good 3 inches (varies due to the slope...) and the clamps that hold it in place. You can also see a bar going down in between the two batteries which is designed to hold the batteries in place, using standard battery clamps (I just haven't to got round to doing that yet, since I had to repair the 24V system....)

The sunk-in box also has two vent/drain holes in the corners to help... even so mine was a bit rotted out in the corner which needed repair....

If you don't use the middle seat (Does anyone?) it's a pretty good place to put them, especially as the distance to the starter isn't greatly increased over the standard battery placement. It also gives a good flat surface to put maps on etc :)

One question... and I am not up on the TDIs in any way at all, but I am under the impression they need a fuel return to the tank, this will give you 2 problems... first there is nowhere to attach the return to, second if you do then how will you stop it from topping up an already full tank and making it overflow(as you have two tanks you could be running on a half full one, but returning to a full one....)? If I am wrong then ignore me, but was just a thought :)

Hope that helps (the first bit anyways!)

Bowie.

Cheers Guys

My brother has a S2 with the same box setup. Having the batteries in the middle of the vehicle actually makes it great for jump starting etc...

For the moment it might be the easiest solution to get the think back on the road. I all ready have the tray the battery sits in.

Bowie, what you said about the fuel return is a very good point. i supose the use of a few fuel line solenoids wired up using the contacts on the tank change over tap might cure this. As for attaching the the lines, "we have the technology". I think they are called bulkhead fittings. I guess the best way to decribe them is a cable gland sort of arrangement, but with a threaded nipple for the pipe to go onto.

Just to complicate things further, i also have to locate a heater some where. The vehicle also has a 5-speed gearbox, which has meant the panel heater has gone out the window. I was planning of using a large matrix in the space between the passenger/driver seats in an attempt to get some decent heat for once. However i think the battery is a greater priority (until winter comes around again) :P.

In a way, this makes me tend to think about fitting it under the passengers seat. Similar to how it is in a defender... i think???

There is plenty of space to relocate the battery to a point in front of the passenger side of the bulkhead. I think there is often a toolbox or similar there.

I made up a small plate to seat the battery on, removed a small slice from the wing top and it fitted fine.

The battery was a maintenance free type similar in size to an 069 and had 800 CCA, more than sufficient for a diseasel.

jw

Meccano, sounds like you have the return issue sorted :)

From what you say, under the passenger seat would probably work OK, and you'd still get 250-300 miles out of the 200TDI... on the single tank! Could be the simple solution..... if you weren't so damned far away I'd have the spare tank you would create for my LWT :P

a point in front of the passenger side of the bulkhead. I think there is often a toolbox or similar there.

Now there is another problem!!! Thats a potential place for locating the air box (once properly sealed) if i can't sit it on the timing case like a 300tdi.

What sort of temperatures should a battery be safely exposed to?