squeaking noise on rear disc brake conversion

Hi, my rear disc brake conversion is doing fine but I do get a squeaking brake noise especially in hot/dry weather. Set-up is Paddock performance discs and Mintex brake pads. May be that combination is causing the noise?

Cheers

Marco

Guest diesel_jim

Some pads do squeek a bit.

did you apply a liberal coat of copperslip to the back of the pad? were the anti rattle plate things in there as well?

also, most calipers have a spring that fits between both pads to push them "apart" a bit, to help stop the squeeling.

Some pads do squeek a bit.

did you apply a liberal coat of copperslip to the back of the pad? were the anti rattle plate things in there as well?

also, most calipers have a spring that fits between both pads to push them "apart" a bit, to help stop the squeeling.

Thanks Jim, no copperslip applied will try (carefully). I've fitted the pads together with the springs and pins supplied (by Mintex). There were no 'anti rattle plate thingies' supplied. In general the set-up is the same as on the front with the only difference those Paddocks discs. At this stage front is solid discs + Mintex pads, no copper slip or rattle plates, just pads and pins with small coil spring inbetween.

Sorry a bit late replying to this one, Ive only just arrived on this forum but think this one is worth a reply.

One of the first jobs I did when I got my Defender was to fit Paddocks performance disks to the rear axle.

These were the drilled and slotted type and I tried two sets of different manufacturers pads with them but could not stop them squeeling, especially when warm and in the last stages of braking. I took them out, refitted them, applied copper grease sparingly all to no avail. As I was told at the time, manufacturers spend a lot of time and money getting brakes right, so I bought a set of Delphi/AP disks, fitted them and hey presto, all was silent. I didn't bother fitting any of that type on the front either!

P.S. Anyone want to buy a complete set of performance disks for a Defender 90! :lol:

Whatever you do don't buy County pads. I bought a new set once for one of my old vehicles (front of a 90) and I threw them away after a week or two and have never bought anything except Genuine ones since because the ruddy noise drove me up the wall at every single junction :angry:

If you delete the O from the brand name it would be nearer the mark :rtfm:

The Genuine ones come with a rubber backing to the pad to stop squeal and it works!

Sorry a bit late replying to this one, Ive only just arrived on this forum but think this one is worth a reply.

One of the first jobs I did when I got my Defender was to fit Paddocks performance disks to the rear axle.

These were the drilled and slotted type and I tried two sets of different manufacturers pads with them but could not stop them squeeling, especially when warm and in the last stages of braking. I took them out, refitted them, applied copper grease sparingly all to no avail. As I was told at the time, manufacturers spend a lot of time and money getting brakes right, so I bought a set of Delphi/AP disks, fitted them and hey presto, all was silent. I didn't bother fitting any of that type on the front either!

Thanks, those symptoms are exactly the same, hot dry weather / warm and last stages of braking. Maybe I should invest into some better discs....

But have a set for the front laying on the shelf too :(

Since the weather has changed yesterday, 10 degrees temp drop the squealing has gone too!