removing the transfer box

There are a couple of good photo walk through threads in the Tech Archive on removing and refitting the transfer box.

From personal experience, there isn't an easy way as such, and it's even less easy if you have to do it on your own.... so find a friend ;)

Mark

changed mine recently, removed the centre panel & cubbybox from the cab, wrapped a ratchet strap around the box, supported it on a axle stand/trolley jack until all the bolts were off, removed the jack/axle stand, slid a plastic box with old blankets in it for a softish landing then pulled the Tb off with the ratchet strap & lowered it into the plasticbox & dragged it out from under the 110, for the fit of the replacement, I had a mate over for extra hands/manpower.

What usually happens is the input gear sticks on the mainshaft. Lots of firm jiggling and maybe even get in there with a pry bar to get it moving. Once you've got it moving off the dowels its fairly easy.

Dont forget to check the condition of the mainshaft splines aswell cos I'll bet they've had it too!

Jon

Guest diesel_jim

They're quite weighty too, so don't be fooled into jiggling it off of the mainshaft thinking "this is moving easily" when suddenly you get a face full of 50kg (ish) of aluminium.

as has been said, unless you're strong, a second pair of hands makes life easier.

if you're beefy, then you'll get a free chest workout into the process. :lol:

The problem isn't just the weight - it's the distribution of it. It's very lop-sided and makes moving it around solo a nightmare. Don't attempt on your own, and preferably get two friends to assist.

To fit it back on, you risk damaging the oil seal - so do what a friend of mine did and cut a matching thread on some extra-long bolts, then grind the heads off the bolts. Stick those in, and then all you need to do is push the transfer box onto the bolts and slide it along, that way, it makes it easier to fit/align without risking the seal.

Oh, and don't forget those not-so-easy-to-spot bolts that go in from the front ! Remember to put the box in low ratio and watch the lever doesn't foul the tunnel on the way out.

The problem isn't just the weight - it's the distribution of it. It's very lop-sided and makes moving it around solo a nightmare. Don't attempt on your own, and preferably get two friends to assist.

To fit it back on, you risk damaging the oil seal - so do what a friend of mine did and cut a matching thread on some extra-long bolts, then grind the heads off the bolts. Stick those in, and then all you need to do is push the transfer box onto the bolts and slide it along, that way, it makes it easier to fit/align without risking the seal.

Oh, and don't forget those not-so-easy-to-spot bolts that go in from the front ! Remember to put the box in low ratio and watch the lever doesn't foul the tunnel on the way out.

managed it on my own with a few strops and a high jack....so changing the inputseal theirs nowhere to get a screw driver in????????just a case of mashing it out wth a few sharp items??? :o

Screw a couple of self tappers into the seal and use them to pull it out with.

Mainshaft splines ok then?

Jon

Yeh they look ok...from what i can make out their was a recon gearbox fitted a little while ago...so i assume they wold have replaced it if it was knacked???