Privacy Glass.......

Graham, I got a quote from a professional window tinting place.....they wanted £600+vat......

......I told them to file the quote in the department that usually deals with emmisions. ;)

I really wanted tinted windows though, as it looks really awesome having a black Defender, so I got some of the film from Halfords. At £15 it was worth a punt.

I tell you what, came out bloody well! Its really easy to use, and except for some trimming issues for the side windows because I had to work around the rear seats when I still had them, looks a treat.

Martin

And if so, from whom.....I sort of fancy the idea of tinted glass, but dont want to go down the 'sticky film' route. Oooh err missus!

I had all the glass behind the B-pillar and driver/passenger door glass on my new 90 XS SW done by Pentagon Glass-Tech in April 2008. My prior research suggested they are the best and then I found the dealership used them for their Land Rover and Jaguar work. The sales exec's 90 demonstrators were always tinted by them.

They remove the glass, apply the tint and put it back, including the alpine lights in the roof which are a right pig they say. They keep the car overnight and its ready the next day.

I had "Midnight" on the side/rear glass and "Light Smoke" on the driver/passenger doors. Light Smoke keeps these windows the correct side of the 43% light transmittance legislation. The Midnight means that from outside you can't really see much detail inside, but from inside it doesn't really look that dark. It's certainly not the blacked-out appearance of a limo which I think is down to 5% transmittance. The Light Smoke on the front doors means that viewed from the side, there is a gradual transition in tinting as you look down the vehicle instead of going from almost clear (very slightly factory tinted) door glass to tinted back, which looks wrong. I wasn't thinking of tinting the doors originally, but Pentagon had suggested this was the correct thing to do and when I saw the sales exec's 90 demo they were obviously right. I've since seen loads of people carriers etc on the road with just the glass behind the B-pillar done and the look is not as it could be.

The cost, with agreed discount and including the VAT was £470 via the Hainault, Essex franchise. A 110 would be more I presume.

I'm only a customer and have no connection with Pentagon or anyone in this trade whatsoever.

Come back to me if I can assist further.

:unsure: I had this thought once of "Privacy Glass" and friends thought I had other agendas in mind. :blink: I never managed to fulfill this dream due to the discussions my friends held on that. "Me? With ideas?" I thought. I shrugged my shoulders over and over again to prove my innocence but it never worked. The idea was just to conceal all tools, bags and shopping bags from the crooked eyes of thieves but nope, they were not convinced! And now I hear it costs 600 Quid plus vat? Holy Creeps!! well well I have changed my mind upon this new info!! :(

Dantd5, order some of the film from Halfords or get some locally if its available in Norway & do it yourself for a fraction of the cost of a professional. Mine is not perfect, but pretty bloody good.

Keeps prying eyes out of the back & looks great too!

Martin