Rebuilding a salisbury rear axle???

T1G UP

I am afraid that there are not too many that have the necessary tools,knowledge or patience to do a proper job of rebuilding a Salisbury diff. Not trying to be rude or anything, but the way you worded your question,it's a job that I certainly recommend that you leave to a trusted professional.

Bill.

Marcus,

Research the rebuild of a dana 60 axle, they are very similar to the salisbury (same company - salisbury is a US corporation - nothing to do with the plain in England).

The key problem that I could see was setting up the preload.

I'm going to have a go later this year, as I suspect that there are no experts near where I am.

I have some links saved on the network, but its broken at the moment so I'll post them later.

It looks tough, and painstaking work, special tools look like a dial gauge, a press, and some way of getting the diff out of the case, although there is a workaround for some problems.

But doable - if you are willing to risk the loss of the axle.

Parts look available from Craddocks, and it might be the opportunity to fit a locker or lsd.

Mind you: depending on where in the world, you are it might be cheaper, and easier, to get a new second hand one.

Your call, your risk, your loss, your gain.

G.

Ok looks like i need to rebuild the salisbury after the bit that the propshaft bolts to has come out :blink:

Any how to's on the subject???

A decent rebuild will be costly. If the propshaft flange has come off, there is almost certainly damage to the crown wheel and pinion, bearings will need replacing etc etc. Even if you have the skills to do it yourself, the parts will add up to a fair bit. A proffessional rebuild will be very costly.

I would suggest that your most cost effective solution is to purchase a complete good condition second hand axle.

Good luck,

Regards,

Diff