Strange noise

pritch1

hi Just wondered if anyone has any ideas. i went to telford quarry on boxing day and on long steep climbs with the arb locker engaged (The First time i have used this in anger) there was a metal to metal grating sound, i was instantly wrried that it was the locker not engaging correctly but it also did it without the rear diff locker but only on long steep climbs. Can anyone think of any explinations? i noticed one other land orver doing it as well

thanks alot matt

hi Just wondered if anyone has any ideas. i went to telford quarry on boxing day and on long steep climbs with the arb locker engaged (The First time i have used this in anger) there was a metal to metal grating sound, i was instantly wrried that it was the locker not engaging correctly but it also did it without the rear diff locker but only on long steep climbs. Can anyone think of any explinations? i noticed one other land orver doing it as well

thanks alot matt

Without more info, there are just too many options for what it could be.

How about listing the things you've checked.

Can you reproduce the noise on the road?

How far up a hill do you have to travel to make it appear?

Is the noise regular - does it repeat with tyre / prop shaft rotation or is it random, say when you go over a bump?

Is it your exhaust rattling? or hitting the prop shaft?

Have you chacked your UJ's?

Could it be something in the back of your truck rolling backwards & rattling against the back door?

Can you describe the noise more accuratly? or think of something else it sounds like?

Without more info, there are just too many options for what it could be.

How about listing the things you've checked.

Can you reproduce the noise on the road?

How far up a hill do you have to travel to make it appear?

Is the noise regular - does it repeat with tyre / prop shaft rotation or is it random, say when you go over a bump?

Is it your exhaust rattling? or hitting the prop shaft?

Have you chacked your UJ's?

Could it be something in the back of your truck rolling backwards & rattling against the back door?

hi sorry should of given a little more information

checked all the usual

uj's Splines on prop shaft diffs and cant see anything catching such as exhaust etc.

The noise can not be produced on road.

It was as i was reaching the top of hills with maximum power on mainly.

It doesnt really appear to be regular seems to only occur under the high torque.

No wasnt something ratteling against the back door everything was secure.

The noise is hard to describe its like 2 teeth messhing but not correctly and slipping. not something ive heard before really why i asked if there any ideas know its hard to diagnose noises without hearing them.

Thanks again matt

OK, some options then.

When you are applying high torque, the engine & gearbox are forced to rotate in the oposite direction to the prop shafts by stretching / compressing the mounts.

Make sure the mounts are good - otherwise you will be heading for a more expensive noise (fan hitting radiator or worse).

Look for other things that the engine or gearbox could hit if it moves on its mountings. Test using a crow-bar to move.

You have not said where the noise sounds like it's coming from?

It could be that the backlash was not set right when you installed your ARB? Or that the crown-wheel / pinion mesh is not correct. Have you changed / re-shimmed the pinion bearings?

It could be that the crown-wheel is bending away from the pinion under torque (Ashcroft make blocks which push the CW against the pinion - or at least stop it moving away) - however, it is more likely due to incorrect ARB installation, if indeed the noise is coming from the diff.

Si

Hi ill have another crawl underneath with a crow bar as you say.

the noise does appear to be comming from rear of the gear box. the arb was fitted to the diff by ashcroft so i should not expect any problems there.

Is it possible it could be anything within the gearbox or transfer box from anyones experience as they are getting a little long in the tooth.

thanks

If the gearbox and transfer box are getting on a bit then I'd put money on one of them being the culprit. My R380 made all sorts of noises and did some very strange things in the few months before I changed it! One other thing it might be is the diff lock on the transfer box not engaging properly.