Are lhd and rhd axles identical

Gareth Dickens

When S3 Landies were converted from lhd to rhd were any changes made to the axles (not steering and swivel housings). Are the centres in the same place? I have a rhd s3 and mine are to the rhs. (offset) I am slightly confused by my owners workshop manual (or I'm doing it to myself).

If you flipped a LHD axle over to put on a RHD - the spring seats would then be on the top, so you would have to cut them off and re-weld them in the right position. A front Salisbury axle looks like it has identical seats top and bottom, but the Rover axle doesn't. Breather would be at the bottom as well, so you would have to do something about that. Swap over the swivel housings because of the steering linkage.

Les.

If you flipped a LHD axle over to put on a RHD - the spring seats would then be on the top, so you would have to cut them off and re-weld them in the right position. A front Salisbury axle looks like it has identical seats top and bottom, but the Rover axle doesn't. Breather would be at the bottom as well, so you would have to do something about that. Swap over the swivel housings because of the steering linkage.

Les.

you sure about this info

wouldnt the axle then try running in reverse

its sommit we've tried when having the engine in the back

pita to fill with oil

you sure about this info

wouldnt the axle then try running in reverse

its sommit we've tried when having the engine in the back

pita to fill with oil

Went for ENV's. They are easier to turn around. After rotating the axle you just turn the centre back as it was b4. I did disconfurkulate myself earlier but have since seen the light. Are lhd axle centres on the left?

Went for ENV's. They are easier to turn around. After rotating the axle you just turn the centre back as it was b4. I did disconfurkulate myself earlier but have since seen the light. Are lhd axle centres on the left?
No, they are on the right.

Les.

Les, Seems to me the diff would then be on the wrong side of the truck... so you couldn't line up with the Transfer case... or did I miss something???

The engine and gearbox layout is the same LHD & RHD, therefore as Rjblank says, if you flipped the axle over it would not line up.

There is no need to flip the axle, a LHD axle should fit a RHD vehicle, the only difference would be in the arm on the swivel that the link from the steering relay fastens to.

The engine and gearbox layout is the same LHD & RHD, therefore as Rjblank says, if you flipped the axle over it would not line up.

There is no need to flip the axle, a LHD axle should fit a RHD vehicle, the only difference would be in the arm on the swivel that the link from the steering relay fastens to.

I"m running a np205 (F250) xfer case and the fwd prop flange on the xfer case is on the lhs. The aft prop flange sits in the centre.( in line with centre of gearbox/engine) I have to flip the fwd axle to get the 'pumpkin' on the left. So it makes sense to me to get a matching ENV for the rear and flip it as well, keeping both centres in line to the left of the vehicle.(ground clearance when avoiding boulders with the centre) I was trying to work out if the pinion would sit to the left or right of the crown in this config so it still has 3 fwd and 1 reverse gear and not vice versa . With the pinion to the right of the crown (and the centre to the lhs) it would minimize my rear prop angle, keeping the rear prop as straight as possible. Still might have to reposition the pedestalls to twist the axle up - same reason. I have figured it out in the end.

It is quite strange though if you consider that for you Britts to avoid hitting a boulder with the axle you actually drive at it where we avoid any big and sharp stuff being in line with the driver.

Flipping the axle so the nose still points towards the transfer box will put the pinion on the other side of the crownwheel, so you'll end up with 1 forward & mutliple reverse gears.

Correct. Then you rotate the centre back the way it was. Easily done with an ENV. Only need to elongate the slot for the crown wheel. Rover - need to cut the axle centre plate/bowl off and turn it around so the crown will fit.(cumbersome) Sallisbury - one hell of a job. (cutting, swapping and rejoining of the tubes or getting the tube out some way or another swapping them and rewelding.)