Sort of O/T.....ipod query

Hey guys,

I have a new head unit in the Defender, which is ipod specific.

As I have never had an ipod before (I dont really see the point) I think having one may be useful whilst travelling, instead of having half my CD collection knocking about the cab.

My question is, I know I can download i-tunes from t'interweb, but when I do....can I "transport" all my songs which I have on Windows Media Player to the ipod or itunes?? If so, is it straight-forward?

Also, however I end up with my CD collection on the ipod, will it take up twice the space on my computer, having it on itunes AND on WMA???

Is there a way to put it on an ipod without it being on itunes permanently & maybe taking up memory space???

Martin

Martin,

When you get the ipod and download itunes, it will ask if you want to import all the songs currently on your compuer. It will then covert them into the right format and put them into itunes. You can then delete these from Media player if you want to. When your ipod is plugged in, it will sync with itunes and so all the songs in iTunes will be on your ipod. If you only intend to do this operation once then you can get all the songs on your ipod and then remove itunes if you are worried about space but Itunes is a better music player than windows media anyway.

Obviously getting old! :P

Which head did you get?

Pete

Martin,

Just done this all myself when transferring to Windows Vista,

once you have downloaded itunes and installed it on your PC,

you can tell it to search you PC for music files it will then suck the lot out of all the different folders and players on your PC,

Once this is done they sit nice and pretty in your itunes music libary along with other formats and videos in other sub-libarys etc etc,

This is a very good programme IMOH and there is no need to have any of the music files in Windows Media anymore.as you can play them all through you PC also, thus not using twice the hard drive space.

you can then divide them into as many different catogories as you like, itunes will do this itself also if you tell it as there is tonnes of info hidden on the cd's that you can see (or hide) when your itunes libary is open.

Hope this helps

Dougie

(edited)Dam must learn to type faster but you get the jist, i mirror Draper.

Obviously getting old!

Cheeky bugger! :P

Cheers Pete, I actually think I MUST be getting old.....it didn't even occur to me that I could delete itunes when I had all the songs on the ipod!

What makes itunes better than Windows Media though?? I quite like Windows Media Player, its easy to use.

Now wheres my zimmer frame & that cup of Ovaltine got to......

Martin

Obviously getting old!

Cheers Pete, I actually think I MUST be getting old.....it didn't even occur to me that I could delete itunes when I had all the songs on the ipod!

What makes itunes better than Windows Media though?? I quite like Windows Media Player, its easy to use.

Martin

Senile as well with that double post! :P

Itunes is a much more user friendly interface as it is much easier to find what you want as they are arranged better. Even if you don't find it better, you won't find it any worse and so you may as well use itunes as then you can add more songs to your ipod.

Which head did you get?

Pete

Martin

As a Mac user: iTunes is simpler and more nice-to-see as WMP!

Don't worry: you "can" delete iTunes but the music files are stored in directory and always in a "transparent" manner, so you can back-up all your music in one or more dvd if you want.

I don't remember correctly... but you can re-sync your pc with the music filled in the iPod directly with iTunes in case of data lost... anyway I'm sure that somwhere in the web exist a software that can extract all your song from you iPod! :D

again just done this when i had all my music on the ipod but not on my new laptop,

You do not need to purchase any tranferring programmes / software.

Just plug in you ipod and it will show up in 'my computer'

but you will notice that it does not list any music even thou its on the ipod, this is because apple have cleverly (or not) tried to prevent file sharing/swapping between say 1 ipod and 50 PC's.

but if you 'explore' the device you will find a load of four letter codes that will tally up with the exact same amount of songs you have on the thing. these are the tracks but do not actually appear to be! <_<

you then copy all and paste into a new folder on your PC, then once you have installed your new itunes that can then search, find, then copy into its libary. job done.

nowt to do with landrovers i know but thought i would pop my 2p's worth in :P

Guest noggy

you can get a patch for Realplayer so you can use that with your iPOOd.

get yourself a CHipod a immitation ipod made in china (hence the name) theyre about 1/10 the price and much easier to use, and it doesnt matter if you drop it in a puddle, because theyre so dirt cheap!

As I have never had an ipod before (I dont really see the point) I think having one may be useful whilst travelling, instead of having half my CD collection knocking about the cab.

Martin, you can also use an ipod to store all your pics taken with a digital ..... creates plenty more space than you have available on your camera. Ideal for that overland trip you have in mind :lol:

Wikus

Right, I sorted it out.

Got myself a nice little iPod, transferred all my tunes from Media Player to iTunes, deleted everything from WMP when done, and now have all the best songs from every single CD in my collection (several thousand) and all saved on a little thing 2 inches square!!!

With my rear speaker enclosure I designed, sounds a treat too!

Well chuffed.

Martin

Which head are you using?

One of THESE.

I tried looking for the same head I had in the MX5, but Sony dont make them anymore, so got this one, as it was as close to the old one as I could find....but about £200 cheaper than I paid a couple of years ago.

It sounds awesome though!!! :rolleyes: Finally, I can hear my music when I drive over 60 mph. :P

Martin

I put some 6 inch Pioneers in the back in that enclosure I designed. I dont normally like Pioneers, but these turned out to be the best option for me. With all that open space in the back of a Defender, I wanted something quite "bass-y" which is normally a sound characteristic I dont like, but works well for me in this case after spending quite awhile tweaking the EQ.

Up front, I found a pair of Kenwoods whose magnets fitted right in without catching the wiper motor. Saved me cutting a spacer ring.

The fronts give me the clarity I like from my music, and the rears give the depth of sound, and together give a decent volume, without sounding like a chav in a Fiesta.

I faded the balance towards the rear slightly in order to shift the sound-stage into the middle of the vehicle.

Martin