PAS Pump Pulley

DaveQ

Hi

I registered on your forum as I have a friend who is desperately in need of a bit of advice. As for me I live near Silverstone and regularly contribute on the Cobra Replica and other petrolhead forums as I am at present building a Cobra replica. I also have a Mini estate I built in 1976-1978 from new and secondhand parts and registered it as new car in 1978. 30 years on it's still going strong with no welding needed.. Sadly I have never aspired to a Landrover. Yet!!

Now to the problem, My friend Bob is an old school friend who lives right up the west coast of OZ in the back and beyond. He has an elderly 1984 Range Rover and a few weeks ago, whilst driving, the steering went heavy followed by a clonk. He was a bit peeved when opening the lid to see that the Pulley had come off and had disappeared into the outback never to be seen again. Despite searching the web and making numerous phone calls to dealers around OZ he has been unable to locate a replacement.

Enter me in old blighty.

I have been ringing round the various UK dealers, I have found on the web, to no avail so I'm hoping someone can anyone tell me what part number I need to be looking for.

If anyone has got a spare Pulley knocking about that I could buy and send out to him I, and he, would be most grateful. It's a 1984 RR and the Pulley is a double groove type with one belt driving it from the Crank pulley and another belt driving the Alternator. He also needs the Woodruff key and retaining bolt as they of course disappeared at the same time... A long shot I know...

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query it is very much appreciated.

Apparently the Pulley is only held on with one bolt and a woodruff key to stop it rotating on the shaft. Maybe it's peculiar to Australian Range Rovers.

Thanks

Dave

Is the pulley a single 'V', one bolt in the centre (13mm head), large washer behind it, and made out of cast iron - as opposed to pressed steel?

Les.

Thanks Les

The Pulley is a double "V" Belt type. It is driven from the Crankshaft on one "V". A separate "V" belt goes from the PAS Pump to the Alternator. As regards whether it is pressed steel or cast that's a bit tricky as it disapeared fairly quickly. I'll contact Bob and ask him if he can remember what it was made of and report back. It was definately a single bolt fixing with a Key of some sort.. The bolt is missing as well as the key so I'll ask if he knows the size of the bolt if he can find something similar to screw in the Pump. Things we take for granted and can get easily are a bit elusive where he lives.....

Regards

Dave

Ah sorry ...... that was 86 on......................... you need the earlier version picture................

med_gallery_269_31_16431.jpg

The pulley is part number 610792 ................... but I guess the bolt is missing too ....... part number SH505071L ...... 5/16UNC x 7/8long

There is also a spacer......part number 2217L

Hope this helps

:)

Ian

Brilliant!! Thanks very much Ian I am very grateful.

Odd that the drawing doesn't show the woodruff key.

At least I can find a UNC bolt in the garage.

Now I know what it looks like all I have to do is find one and send it on

Cheers

Dave

After making dozens of phone calls to goodness knows how many scrap yards since my last post I have hopefully located a Pulley and Pump. My friend has since told me that the single fixing bolt had sheared off which was the cause of the pulley parting company in the first place. Despite his best efforts the bolt refuses to part company with the Pump shaft so he needs both Pump and pulley. I have a 100mile round trip tomorrrow, to part company with £50, armed with all my tools to a scrapyard who claim to have the right parts. Never having worked on a Range Rover before can anyone advise what problems I am likely to encounter when removing the pump....

Thanks guys for the info so far

Dave

I would have said getting the pulley off would be the biggest problem but if you are taking the pump as well then it should only be uncoupling the pipe unions and a few mounting bolts. Don't forget to bring all of the brackets and bolts with you for £50.

Steve

<..>

I have a 100mile round trip tomorrow, to part company with £50, armed with all my tools to a scrapyard who claim to have the right parts.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that when you get there it's a guddun! :)

Never having worked on a Range Rover before can anyone advise what problems I am likely to encounter when removing the pump....

Nothing particularly difficult about the RR pump and mounting, but usual scrap-yard rules apply: Boots, overalls and gloves, save time by cutting belts, 'claim' any brackets and bolts. In my local scrappy I think that all fluids are already removed, but perhaps you should check before creating a spill - they are a bit sensitive about that nowadays - not like when I were a lad and I kept a pair of special scrap-yard boots in a plastic box in the boot since the ground was usually inches deep in oil :lol:

Roger

Well.... I visited the Scrap yard yesterday and found a sad looking RR without it's wheels. At least it was at a more comfortable working height. Took me about 45 mins to retrieve the pump and hand over the folding stuff. No real problems other than pulling it off the long stud as the Rad cowl was in the way. The pump certainly looks OK and corresponds to the pictures my friend sent. I spent an hour or so cleaning the grot off last night so all i need to do is to pack it and ship it out to OZ.

Thanks very much to all for taking the time to reply with helpful advice.

If anyone else is interested in parts the RR at the scrap yard is a W reg and apart from the PAS pump!! the engine bay looks complete. Alternator is already unbolted.

The scrapyard is at NN14 2SP near Corby Northants.

Nice to see another Radio Amateur Petrolhead...Steve. M3BBH RAYNET. I was once signed up with Raynet but then had a job which meant in a disaster I would probably be working anyway!!

Cheers

Dave (G4DWC)

• 3 weeks later...

Well..... The pump eventually got to my friend in OZ at a cost of £56 carriage.

I had a mail a couple of days ago to say the Pump is working fine and his RR is back on the road.

Thanks for the help guys...

Dave Q