Can You Fit LPG To A Classic 3.5 EFI..???

rivington

Hi all,

I am looking into putting an LPG kit on my 1989 Classic 3.5 EFI and was just wondering if there was anyone on here local to me that could do it for a reasonable cost?

I am buying a brand new kit and hopefully twin sill tanks.

I am up in Blackpool and if anyone local enough can fit one get in touch.

Thanks

it is possible, yes.

it's worth considering what you are going to be using it for though first. if you are thingking of off roading, then it may be worth having the petrol tank replaced with 2 x gas tanks, and a smaller 8 (?) gallon petrol tank fitted in the rear 1/4 panel. This would leave your "break over" angle unaffected then, as sill tanks can be a PITA off road sometimes, even though they still don't hang that low (slightly higher than the diffs).

the other advantage of having them at the back is that you can fit bigger tanks too = more range.

my 3.5 disco manages about 150 miles between LPG fill ups (2 x sill tanks, 56 litres cap). Under the back IIRC you can get larger tanks, as there is more room. Plus they are protected by the chassis too.

I have 2 x 44 ltr tanks fitted in the rear load space, with a false floor on the top.

The dogs think it is great as they can see out while lying down!

Have seen a couple of the fuel tanks that fit in the rear wing space, and they look very vulnerable to off road damage.

Hi I wont be using this one for off road, I am goint to look at buying another for off road when I have got this one through the MOT.

Someone has suggested fitting a diesel engine in it but I would like to keep the auto box, do you know of any diesel engines I can get that will allow me to keep the auto box?

If yes how much of a hard job is it changing it over etc etc?

there are plenty of options about, IIRC the 200/300tdi's will fit the 'box? I think you would need an adaptor plate though (someone will correct me if i am wrong)

But, bear in mind that at the moment it may be cheaper to stick with the LPG (I am spending less on fuel running the v8 to work and back, than i was with my old 200tdi, especially with diesel prices being so ridiculous

Yeah thats the only problem at the minute and the prices dont look like they are coming down.

I am going to be using it as my every day vehicle and regularly do long journeys so I am just considering all options at the minute.

This is my first Range Rover so not that clued up on whats what etc.

I got it cheap so dont mind having to spend a bit on it to make it right just need to get it through the test next month first.

A new LPG kit will set me back approx £500 then I have to get it fitted and just wondering if it would be a cheaper option if I was to go with the diesel engine

If you are evenhalf competent you should be able to fit the kit yourself and save you a a bag of money, takes about 2 days start to finish and really is a nuts and bolts job, except for the filler mounting and the wiring, which is pretty much just a live feed, and earth, and one wire to the coil...

Cost for cost I am getting 23-27MPG out of my Range 3.9 at the moment, that's with big tyres and a heavy right foot, not 100% sure what the diesel would get you, butit's not THAT much different.

I would say that... LPG has been far less affected by the oilprice rise, having gone up around 20 pence in the last 4ish years, whereas petrol has near enough doubled, and diesel.... well..... I can only see the gap between LPG and petrol/diesel getting larger.

The 23 - 27 MPG you are getting I presume that is on Gas?

I have been told the one I am getting does around 15MPG around town and 20MPG on a run.

I would prefer to keep it on petrol and add gas I think as I dont want to do too much tinckering with this one I just want it as nice and original as possible.

I believe if I fit it myself or have another DIYer do it I will then need to take it somewhere for it to be checked over and get a certificate for it before I can use the LPG on the road.

take it somewhere for it to be checked over and get a certificate for it before I can use the LPG on the road.

technically yes, should cost about £100-£150 for a check and certificate.

i am getting about 14-16mpg on the gas, but when you compare to petrol, it works out equivalent to 32-ish mpg.

we are breaking a 3.5 classic with LPG down here in the next few weeks, LPG kit is twin tank setup too.

• 2 weeks later...

Check with LPG garages round you that they will do the check and certificate some places don't like to do it as they don't know the quality of the work that's been done.

Bought my 3.9 with a single point system already installed but have had it serviced.

If going with LPG worth making sure your dizzy is working properly perhaps a new rotor arm and that you're using high quality copper core HT leads. I also added an electrical gizmo from Rpi to increase the spark and all of the above increased my mpg from 10 to 20mpg which is equivalent of 40mpg on petrol, which isn't bad.