removal of front silencer

pinny

has anyone done this looking in britparts catalogue thay do a direct replacement for the front silencer basically a straight through pipe thay claim more power and better fuel economy has anyone replaced theirs with this your views please chris

I'm running a straight through exhaust, all home made, on my 200Tdi.

The front pipe on the 200 is straight, so a section of 2" tube slide inside, or a section of thin wall 2.5" tube slide outside can be used to replace the front silencer. Just cut the box off and weld the new section in. If you can't weld you could slit the ends of the larger tube and clamp it on.

I've done pretty much the same for the rear box using a pre-formed (Jetex) 2.5" 90 degree bend welded on just behind the rear hanger to replace the box and give a side exit.

Total cost £0 - it all came from the scrape box in my shed!

It sounds nice and meaty now :D

I have removed the front silencer on my Disco TD5. Fruitier sound , more noticeable outside than inside, and a small but drfinite power increase at low revs - the turbo spins up a little bit earlier.

Dont know about UK legislation - no problemsin SA.

Cheers Dave

Changed my silencer for a straight through pipe last saturday and this saturday put the silnecer back on what a bloody row :angry: .

Drumming and resonating in the cabin, embaressing around town.

Did sound good with the windows down but would be very annoying on a run, and according to my wife i am going deaf!

TD5 by the way

Lynall