Defender R380 Gearbox

My gearbox in my 300tdi defender seems to have developed an extra gate beyond the 5th/reverse gate. If you push the lever into the position to go up for 5th and down for reverse you can with a bit more force now pull it over what seems like one more gate. Is it broken and what could have gone wrong as the apart from that it seems to be operating normally.

Thanks

Nick

Could be bias spring under the rubber cover on transmission cover under gear knobs. this spring is not in the gear box and is easy to get to.

Bias is a metal c shaped wire that runs from one side of the base of the gear lever to the other. :P

Be careful when you adjust it though, I had a problem getting 4th from 5th and adjusted the spring as per the manual. Then I found that I had a 3-speed box, sometimes 1st and 2nd, sometimes 3rd and 4th, but never all five at one time. It was so bad I panicked and even phoned around to get a second hand box. Then I decided to adjust it by 'feel', not by the book and miraculously all gears reappeared. I then decided to leave it all alone at that!

There is another specific adjustment for the 5th gear, RTFM for details.