Hybrid gearbox

The **** mechanisms aren't interchangeable, the whole back of the gearbox is different. It's possible but it's basically a strip and rebuild, far easier to just source the right box, or chop yours in to Ashcrofts and get the right one sent back.

I enjoy a challenge so I dont mind having a go at building a hybrid my time is free.

The 2 boxes are effectively scrap anyway LT77 mainshaft gone R380 whine in 3rd + 5th.

So I can use the gear selectors and rear casing from the Lt77 on the r380(and fix whatevers causing the whine)

Ill pull the r380 apart tonight and see what falls out :D

Prob not possible but no harm in asking those more experienced! ;)

Is it possible to rebuild an 04 disco R380 into a defender box using the shift mechanism from an lt77?

Nope, Disco box has different longer input shaft and bellhousing to what is needed for a Defender and this is case for both LT77 and R380 variants. Plus as mentioned LT77 and R380 internals are different anyway.

Stripped the R380 for a look last night and as Fridefreezer said the internal mechanisims are different. The input shaft & bell housing from the lt77 looks like its a straight swap. Wont know until tonight when I can sit the 2 side by side.

That leaves the "cover end manual transmission front" Its the bit that holds in the 2 bearings on the front of the box. On the LT77 this also guides the clutch release bearing! What way is the short R380 set up?