Defender electrical problem

I've finally got around to making a start on my 90,which has been standing in my garage for over 12months.

I put the battery on,connected the leads and then turned on the ignition.

The ignition lights(oil,battery and glow plugs lights) all came on,but when I turned the key all the way - Nothing.

I checked the battery leads - tried again -still nothing.

Now heres the strange bit.

I turned off the ignition,and turned on the radio - on came the ignition lights?

Turn the radio on and off ,and on and off go the lights.

I press the horn button ,guess what - it does the same thing.

The alternator is currently disconected,as are all the lights,because im in the process of stripping it down.

whilst having a good look around under the bonnet,I have found 2 sweetcorn husks sitting on top of the chassis leg near the starter and im worried that a rodent of some description has chewed my wiring.(I didnt have a garage door for some time but that is now sorted.)

I cant see anthing obvious though.

All suggestions welcome-cheers

sounds like an earth issue but for a start connect the alternator up. Depending on the vehicle model, the alternator terminals act as main feed junction points, if its not there some feeds will be missing. Usually starter motor + is also linked to alt + and battery +. In addition if the ignition warning light isn't connected it may cause problems with earths in the instrument panel. Finally if you start the engine with the alternator belt on, but with it not electrically connected, you will fry and destroy the regulator in the alt...

Cheers guys - The alternator is off because one of the bolts is sheared(the one that holds the bottom of the alternator to the PAS bracket).

Once ive extracted the stud,I will put it all back together and try again.

If any one can think of any thing else,plesae feel free.

cheers again

I concur about the earths being a problem. There is one on the bulkhead right by the clutch master cyclinder, check that is clean and secure. Then make sure that the engine is properly earthed with a big cable or braid to the chassis AND to the battery - often this is via the gearbox which we must assume is well connected to the engine.

Chris