Modifying a Disco for desert conditions.

steve_r2

Hi,

Right here goes.

I live in the UAE (Dubai) and I have recently got a Series II (2003) USA import here. The engine is the 4.6 V8 not the standard GCC one which is the 4ltr.

What I would like to do is tart upgrading/modifying my Disco so I can have fun out in the desert without trashing it.

It is my daily driver so I don't want compromise too much its on road capabilities. However compromises can be made.

Any advice that can be passed on about drivetrain/ engine/ suspension etc would be greatly appreciated and if there is anyone with local knowledge of where to source parts or anyone knows of reputable companies that ship that would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Steve & welcome to the forum.

I live in Ajman and also drive a 4.6Efi Discovery. Do you ever frequent www.me4x4.org? There are a number of Discovery drivers on there all of whom have made various modifications to their cars to make desert life more tolerable.

Sharky has a lovely DII, so does Shaun, Dave Horn has a DI like mine with a 4.6, Colls110 has a DII standard apart from the rubber.

For the deserts of the UAE my advice to you is simply to keep the weight down for sand work. Roof tents are a No No for the dunes. If you want to get up into the mountains for the weekend then you can fit almost anything for comfort purposes.

Raised air intakes are a good idea...it's a dusty place as you well know and I noticed a huge difference in the condition of my filter after I'd fitted a mantec snorkel.

Many of the mods needed to your car will be dependant on what you want to do with it. I do alot of rally work, sweep team etc...so I needed to make my suspension more capable of handling fast off road work. I also carry alot of recovery gear and spares etc so it needed to be over sprung to cope with the extra weight.

Best place for service and Mods is AAA in Rashidya 04 2858989 Gordon. They have a good source for spares both new and second hand.

Icon Autos in Dubai's Al Quoz district also cater for Discoveries 04 3382744 Chris. Both have web sites and tell them I sent you for good services. Icon have the best choice of new accesories by far.

Gulf Stars in Sharjah 06 5339600 carry a huge array of Genuine and OEM spares and aftermarket bolt ons that you should fit yourself or supply to the workshop.

The Disco II is more than capable of doing everything you want to do around here. I would change the tyres for something more AT than HT though. Much depends on which rims you have. We do alot of deflating and inflating over the weekends...so a decent 12v compressor would be handy. Proper recoevery points front & rear are a must or the clubs won't allow you to go out with them. Rated shackles also, a shovel, a recovery strap, gloves are also on the must have list.

How does the air conditioning stand up to the heat here? The GULF spec Discoveries have a slightly different system to the NAS models. Bigger radiator, higher output alternator etc.

Feel free to drop me a PM for any advice.

Regards.

S.

Hi Streaky,

Thanks for all your info really appreciate it.

Not come across www.me4x4.org before so I will have a look see what is going on there and maybe pick up some tips.

I have to admit that I have got some experience with dune bashing as my previous car was a 1994 J33p Wrangler so I have compressor, tyre deflators, shovel etc.

I have used Icon for my servicing for that wagon previously so I am happy with what they did for me. Not tried AAA though I have heard that they have a workshop in Al Quoz as well as Rashidya. Is there any preference between there workshops ?

The tyres I do have currently fitted are Cooper Discoverer ATR on 16" rims. I am considering changing these to Kumho Dune Grapplers or Yokohama Geolandar M/T+ are these any good or would it be down to personal preference ?

Well I probably will have loads of questions over the coming months so I will probably PM you and pick your brains. Once again thanks for your help.

Any other advice gladly taken on board.

Steve

Start with good recovery points, then start improving your driving technique. You will find that with plenty of practise that the Discovery needs very little in the way of modifications or upgrades. The less you have to add the less weight you carry and as Streaky says above vehicle weight is important.

jw

Crikey...JW's back. Howya! You've got an email coming John. I've got us booked for a weekend in the countryside with Mark Adams and his merry men in shropshire! Bring yer wellies and a note pad.

Steve.

AAA in Al Quoz only do service. Rashidiya do everything from service to rally car prep and additional bolt ons. I only ever use them.

Your Coopers will do just fine. You don't want an aggressive tread for dunes.

Get onto ME4x4 asap...theres tonnes of feedback on the site from guys that do this stuff every week. Many of them have DII's.

BTW. Did you see the T4 Unimog at Icon? Thats the one I race with Chris.

JW thanks for your info.

Streaky

......Shropshire you say............ That's where I come from and there is plenty of areas where you can get down and dirty so to speak :rolleyes:

I have had a look at ME4x4 some interesting stuff going on there so will be keeping ann eye on that as well.

I have seen the Unimog its a pretty impressive piece of kit. Can't imagine being bounced around in that in competition. Must be fun though.

Thanks again guys.

A bit off the topic of the thread but you have referred to 4.6 liter engines a couple times and now I'm curious what is involved and if the gains in BHP are enough to warrant doing it to my Series 1. Any reference to a thread (I looked, the search didn't like what I entered) or to someone that knows more would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Rodewaryer,

As far as I know Disco's that were brought into GCC countries were fitted with 4.0ltr V8's. US models were fitted with 4.6 ltr V8's.

The reasons for this I am unsure about. Other wiser heads than mine should be able to tell you why.

Steve

Hi Rodewaryer,

As far as I know Disco's that were brought into GCC countries were fitted with 4.0ltr V8's. US models were fitted with 4.6 ltr V8's.

The reasons for this I am unsure about. Other wiser heads than mine should be able to tell you why.

Steve

Are you referring to Discovery II's? Pretty sure my series 1 has the pathetic 182bhp 4.0 in it (no insult intended, I have a 2.0 Focus that has 170 bhp, just seems a bit freaky to me a 4cyl of half the size has nearly the same bhp). What does the 4.6 have? Something like 215 bhp or so?

Disco I GCC 300's had the 3.9lt lump. Disco 200's had the 3.5 Carbs and later the Efi.

My mate Charles in Abu Dhabi has a NAS spec Disco I and his original engine is a 4.0lt.

My 4.6 was installed a few years years ago after the 3.9 got tired. The Disco 300 never has a 4.6 from the factory for any market that I know of. 215hp is about right for a standard engine.

If you want to change your 3.9 to 4.6? Talk to someone who really knows his stuff. I've had lots of issues that complicated the build to a point where I was getting desperate. LOoooNG story...don't go there!

Basics you'll need. 4.6 block & guts, pistons etc, heads, front cover, crank, ECU, tune resistor...deep pockets to feed it.

A good site is V8.org and some of the guys here are pretty sharp.

Are you referring to Discovery II's? Pretty sure my series 1 has the pathetic 182bhp 4.0 in it (no insult intended, I have a 2.0 Focus that has 170 bhp, just seems a bit freaky to me a 4cyl of half the size has nearly the same bhp). What does the 4.6 have? Something like 215 bhp or so?

The Series 1 had a "4.0" in it for the NAS market though this was the GEMS engine not the Thor unit AFAIK

The Discovery II has the Thor 4.0 (actually still 3950cc!) with the Bosch engine management system and I think makes about 190bhp though not certain. The 4.6 I thought was supposed to be 225bhp and a bit more torque, but I wouldn't have thought it would be life-changing. As you say it is not a lot by modern standards - a TDV6 puts out about 190bhp and 325lb ft torque and that is from a puny 2.7 litres and stinky diesel too, even if they do go wrong every other week.

Really good info guys. Thanks, sounds like a pretty serious project for less than proportional gains. It sounds like less trouble supercharging the 4.0 then? I took a look at that V8.org site and found it's V-8.org. I found one tidbit there on the 3.9 to 4.6 swap but it was a Capri with a carb and a distributor. He's not dealing with the same issues the Disco will have to.