Series 1 - Ignition timing.

In the absence of replies i would suggest the following as a starting point (i dont have the specs' for your engine)

Normally vacum pipe removed

Idle advance timing between 4 -8 degrees as a starting point.

Drive and listen for pinking - retard a couple of degrees at a time.

These assume the normal caveats of correctly adjusted points, plugs etc.

The proper timing marks are on the flywheel with a nice pointer provided for alignment. Its lovely when the engine is on the bench but virtually impossible to see when installed. The pointer points towards the clutch and is in the top front corner of the hole.

You may be able to see it more easily if you remove the middle section of the floor.

However - the method set out above is probably the best as modern fuel is much better (yes even UK unleaded) and a bit more advance will probably make it run better. Obviously pinking should be avoided (under normal running - not extreme overloading - ie 10 MPH in 4th etc). I suppose comparative runs with a stopwatch could provide some interesting results. (not standing starts - but 20 - 40 in top on the SAME bit of (private) road.) For a proper comparison everything should be the same - engine temp, load, tyre pressures etc).

The vacuum control should be disconnected for idle speed settings only.