Battery clamp

I have fabricated (well that sounds more impressive than it is) a clamp for my dual batteries - two long pieces of 12mm wide angle iron facing inwards across the short sides of the two batteries and two shorter pieces pointing outwards along the outer parallel long sides of the battery. Hole in each of the outwards pointing sides to take rods to base. Bolted at 4 corners with 25mm M6 bolts.

My concern is that the inwards pointing sides come rather too close to the +ve battery terminal for my liking and I do not want my passenger ejected from her seat due to explosion :o

Would wrapping insulating tape around the angle iron near the terminals be adequate or should I try grinding out recesses with the angle grinder?

Thanks

Guest noggy

with vibration and other landrover jagged movements, if the terminal touched and rubbed whilst you were using insulation tape, it may wear it away, so as ralph says, cut a recess and then coat it in tape.

You would not be the first to burn your landie to the ground by this method. Have a rethink and try to imagine what would happen if it all worked a buit lose or moved when on a steep bank/involved in a roll.... Do it right first time and take no chances. Might be worth cutting some small bits of wood to go around the batteries at floor level to ensure they cannot move sideways at all.